Type 1 Novorapid insulin storage

D4NNY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Does anyone know how long Novorapid Insulin can last out the fridge before putting it back in again? I see a lot of info about how it can last up to 4 weeks once you take it out, but is it possible for it to last a day or two without it being in the fridge before putting it back in?

Thanks

Reactions: Antje77

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Does anyone know how long Novorapid Insulin can last out the fridge before putting it back in again? I see a lot of info about how it can last up to 4 weeks once you take it out, but is it possible for it to last a day or two without it being in the fridge before putting it back in?

Thanks
I keep the pen I'm using out of the fridge. Not 100% sure but I think you can keep it out for 28 days before you have to chuck it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I keep the pen I'm using out of the fridge. Not 100% sure but I think you can keep it out for 28 days before you have to chuck it.
That is my understanding too but I think the question is, if you have it out of the fridge for only a day, does the 28 day countdown still start...?
Something I would like to know too, because my insulins were out of the fridge for a day last time I got a prescription, because I forgot to put them away straight away.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is my understanding too but I think the question is, if you have it out of the fridge for only a day, does the 28 day countdown still start...?
My understanding is that if the insulin is out of the fridge for a day, it has one day less of it’s post fridge life when I next get it out.
I follow this principle when traveling - I take my pump back up pen cartridges out of the fridge when away overnight and keep tally of the number of days out of the fridge. I have used these cartridges when they have been out of the fridge for a total of three weeks (but first taken out about six months previously) and had no problem.

Last edited: