Now fully 'educated' ....?

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Attended my third and final education session.

1. I know what diabetes is :)

2. I have been informed of how the NHS will be monitoring me, now that I am diagnosed. :)

3. I have been told that my future and the progression of my diabetes is very much in my own hands. :thumbup:

4. I have been advised to look at my weight, diet and exercise levels :)

5. I have been made aware of the possible complications which are the result of High Blood Glucose. :)

6. I have not once been informed of what constitutes high blood glucose :shock: Either fasting, pre or post prandial or what constitutes good blood glucose levels.

7. I have not been advised about the foods that will cause my Blood Glucose to go above healthy levels :sick:

8. I have been advised to eat a well balanced diet - but with approx 1/3 of each plate of food I eat comprising carbohydrate/starchy food. ( and that white bread is OK (!!!) :sick:

9. I have been given URINE STICKS to test my BG which do not read positive until BG is approx 10mmol/L :sick:

10.I have been advised that I can purchase a BLOOD PRESSURE monitor from the chemist............ I have not even heard mention of the fact that I can purchase a BLOOD GLUCOSE METER from the chemist. :eh:

Just talking to the people sitting next to me confirmed beyond doubt that they had not grasped some really basic facts - like yes! worry about the jam on your bread but worry about the BREAD too!!

The Nurse and Dietician spoke very well, delivered their information clearly and with good humour.

But is it education for Type 2s? I think not.

Sorry about the excessive use of smilies.x

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
CathyN said:
Attended my third and final education session.
[...]
Just talking to the people sitting next to me confirmed beyond doubt that they had not grasped some really basic facts - like yes! worry about the jam on your bread but worry about the BREAD too!!y
[...]
But is it education for Type 2s? I think not.

Sorry about the excessive use of smilies.x

no, they mean well, but the current "healthy" diet they push is deadly and will merely lead to the inexorable progression into needing insulin and suffering damage as well from the high blood glucose levels that have been allowed to occur... they really hate the idea their diet is wrong... mention low carb and they'll claim it's a fad diet and dangerous... they're also obsessed with cutting out saturated fats and using supposedly healthy oils that are really dangerous as well in that they have a high omega 6 content which is responsible for causing the inflamation of the arteries and the cholesterol plaques forming as a result.

And the general lack of knowledge in the other participants is a brutal reminder just how brainwashed the general populace is when it comes to what does and does not constitute a healthy food. 20 odd years of the low-fat line being peddled has led to an awfull lot of balderdash in people's minds... for the carbohydrate game, I came prepared with some wrappers off products which had two versions, the normal full-fat version and the supposedly healthy low-fat "lite" version which was being pushed as healthy and cost more... the nurse delivering the course had to concede my point that supposedly healthy products were bad for diabetics when I showed just how much more carbs were in the "healthy" version...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Congratrulations! on your "education" and your self control in surviving it.
Hana
PS I would never have been able to restrain myself from "stirring"

A

Anonymous

It's depressing Cathy, but not surprising any more. All the more reason to hire a village hall and advertise a talk on alternative methods of managing type 2 diabetes.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm convinced the NHS suffers from "not invented here" syndrome... the Scandinavians are having great success with their low carb highish fat diet for controlling diabetes and even preventing pre-diabetes from becoming full blown diabetes... but here in good old blighty, it seems it is being ignored completely with the typical condescending "Nanny Knows Best" attitude...

Makes me wonder just what a hold big-pharma and the food manufacturers have got over the setting of the national diet... from the list of "stakeholders" posted the other day that are involved in setting the new NICE guidelines on the diagnosis and management of Diabetes, it would seem that they've got enough members in that discussion to successfully stall any move to a good diet based approach for Diabetes and steer it away from any hint of the blame being pointed at big-pharma and the manufacturers...