packed lunches

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I use these to take soup to work, then microwave it.
510461-full.jpg
by Addis, I find these totally leak proof. Lovely sized portion for one.

Reactions: 4 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pumpernickel is good for most type 2 diabetics, having a low GI between 30 and 40. It's more compressed seeds than leavened bread and is consequently very filling. It travels well too!

I have open sandwiches at home but if travelling, I fill the sandwiches with sliced cheeses like Emmentaler or sliced meats or salamis. Just add some crunchy lettuce and some sliced tomato and or onion. You can have a nice meal if you take some broth in a thermos and some nice pickled gerkhins and/or green chillis. An apple or pear won't hurt you either.

This is a very nice sandwhich, cream cheese, smoked salmon and some avocado, but a bit of a luxury and almost as expensive as Greggs:

a079f98a2132fd6e_Recipe-Smoked-Salmon-Sandwiches-Avocado-Wasabi-Cream-Cheese.xxxlarge.jpg

Still, a good ham sandwich is hard to beat:

MH_0909_Herz_800x533.jpg.3023220.jpg

You need the correct bread though. Nothing light and springy. That's a sure sign that it has white flour and/or other additives. Pumpernickel in German is called Full Kernel Bread and it looks like this:

2.jpg

How many carb in the bread?

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How many carb in the bread?

Depends on brand of course but Lidl's Rivercote is about 15g total carbs per slice. Of that, 4g is fibre and is not digested. The wholegrain kernels also contain a high percentage of oligosaccharides which are only partially digested, most of it being broken down by bacteria in the lower intestine rather converted by enzymes, hence the description 'pumper', meaning to break wind. The digestible carbs are in the form of the coarsely milled rye flour which has a low GI. It is comparable with oat groats.

Most people can eat a couple of slices with no noticable effect on their BG levels and you probably wouldn't want to eat more than 4 anyway. It is heavy stuff.

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pumpernickel is good for most type 2 diabetics, having a low GI between 30 and 40. It's more compressed seeds than leavened bread and is consequently very filling. It travels well too!

I have open sandwiches at home but if travelling, I fill the sandwiches with sliced cheeses like Emmentaler or sliced meats or salamis. Just add some crunchy lettuce and some sliced tomato and or onion. You can have a nice meal if you take some broth in a thermos and some nice pickled gerkhins and/or green chillis. An apple or pear won't hurt you either.

This is a very nice sandwhich, cream cheese, smoked salmon and some avocado, but a bit of a luxury and almost as expensive as Greggs:

a079f98a2132fd6e_Recipe-Smoked-Salmon-Sandwiches-Avocado-Wasabi-Cream-Cheese.xxxlarge.jpg

Still, a good ham sandwich is hard to beat:

MH_0909_Herz_800x533.jpg.3023220.jpg

You need the correct bread though. Nothing light and springy. That's a sure sign that it has white flour and/or other additives. Pumpernickel in German is called Full Kernel Bread and it looks like this:

2.jpg

Thank you so much for this, love this bread had forgotten about it, will check it out again:)

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
510461-full.jpg

I have one in the back of the cupboard, will get it out and make use of it lol thankyou

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
510461-full.jpg
Souper dooper idea and suggestion :joyful: Lenny .
I love it actually - so easy and simples to do too

Soup for a meal on the go is ideal for me :D