Pain in my stomach

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lately I've been getting a bit disheartened and losing some interest in managing my diabetes. Its becoming an ordeal once again. Before last week I was grand but now, the area around my stomach where I inject is super sensitive and it huts when I inject there. It also stings when I take my insulin. My whole muscular system is sore even to the lightest of touches. My shoulders, legs, neck and back being the worst. I do be in bits waking up and sore all day. I'm still taking my insulin and Lantus....begrudgingly. Its like a chore now.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry your having a rough time of late, it goes without saying that you should see your gp if you haven't done so already.

As for your sensitive stomach, try giving the area a rest and use your arms & legs instead for your QA insulin, you can use your bum & legs for your basal, the following shows where you can inject insulin and has some useful tips on site rotation and such:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

Reactions: 3 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry your having a rough time of late, it goes without saying that you should see your gp if you haven't done so already.

As for your sensitive stomach, try giving the area a rest and use your arms & legs instead for your QA insulin, you can use your bum & legs for your basal, the following shows where you can inject insulin and has some useful tips on site rotation and such:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

Noticed from the diagram it has quite near the top of the bum marked.

I inject my Lantus in to my bum but sometimes do it lower down than marked on the diagram, do you know if that causes an issue?

I've seen a few people say they inject in to their arms but is that not quite difficult?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Lately I've been getting a bit disheartened and losing some interest in managing my diabetes. Its becoming an ordeal once again. Before last week I was grand but now, the area around my stomach where I inject is super sensitive and it huts when I inject there. It also stings when I take my insulin. My whole muscular system is sore even to the lightest of touches. My shoulders, legs, neck and back being the worst. I do be in bits waking up and sore all day. I'm still taking my insulin and Lantus....begrudgingly. Its like a chore now.
What needle size are you using ?
You may be hitting the muscle a tiny bit - if very slender ?

I am only allowed to use my tummy as am far too skinny elsewhere .
Use a 5mm needle .
I have had what you are describing - been told to get a good pinch of flesh
on tummy area to ensure it only hits the subtaneous fat layer and
not any muscle .

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

I inject my Lantus in to my bum but sometimes do it lower down than marked on the diagram, do you know if that causes an issue?

I've seen a few people say they inject in to their arms but is that not quite difficult?
Maybe you could be hitting upper thigh muscle is a possibility ?

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Don't really know why they suggest injecting higher up the bum, it might just be down to the fact that you it could become uncomfortable if you inject in the area that you sit on.............as I say I really don't know.

Injecting in the arms is easy once you get use to it, raise the arm up that you are going to inject in and come in underneath with your other arm/hsnd, I find this the best way and gives you greater access to the area that you want to inject in, once you get use to it you can inject in both arms quite easily.

Reactions: 6 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't really know why they suggest injecting higher up the bum, it might just be down to the fact that you it could become uncomfortable if you inject in the area that you sit on.............as I say I really don't know.

Injecting in the arms is easy once you get use to it, raise the arm up that you are going to inject in and come in underneath with your other arm/hsnd, I find this the best way and gives you greater access to the area that you want to inject in, once you get use to it you can inject in both arms quite easily.

I might give that a go this evening. I want to give my stomach a bit of a rest with the exception of times when it is really needed such as at work.
I had also seen something before about sitting down and laying your arm on a raised knee to allow you access to the back of you arm but had never tried it out.

Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe you could be hitting upper thigh muscle is a possibility ?

That could be the explanation and it does hurt a little more sometimes when doing it lower. I've always done it there though as it seemed to be a fattier area.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I might give that a go this evening. I want to give my stomach a bit of a rest with the exception of times when it is really needed such as at work.
I had also seen something before about sitting down and laying your arm on a raised knee to allow you access to the back of you arm but had never tried it out.

I'm giving my bum a rest from injecting my basal, had a period where I was getting erratic bg levels for no apparent reason, since just using my legs all has settled down, it's strange as I did site rotate and would swap from using my bum to the legs quite often.

Try the technique that you have describes above, if it doesn't work then have a go the way I described, coming in under the arm to be injected is so much easier IMO, some people try and stretch around and this makes it so much more difficult.

Reactions: 4 people

moz1

Do you take statins as I had bad muscle aches on simvastatin? My stomach is wrecked through years of injecting have to use sides now!

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, I'll try those other injection sites. I am still quite lean and not much fat on my belly, so maybe it was hitting a muscle.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Well managed my first one in my arm. Was quite a low dose so was a bit more confident to do it but ended up using the side of my pinky to depress the button. Sure it's just a technique thing.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well managed my first one in my arm. Was quite a low dose so was a bit more confident to do it but ended up using the side of my pinky to depress the button. Sure it's just a technique thing.

Well done, as said it does get easier the more times you do it :)