partner has been drinking and has run out of test strips, I need to check his blood sugar

beccyy14

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm the girlfriend of a type 1 diabetic. He's been out drinking, come home and thrown up. He has run out of test strips and I can't test his blood sugar, and he hasn't eaten anything before bed.
He did his 24 hour insulin at 10pm, went out, drank a lot and then threw up.
For dinner he had a carby meal of pizza and garlic bread, but I worry that it's now out of his system.
I can't check his blood sugar as there are no more strips, and he has deeply fallen asleep and so hasn't eaten anything before bed.
This has happened before and I checked his sugars every hour through the night, and they were fine. So hoping it will be the same tonight?
What is my best option?
Thanks, from an ever concerned girlfriend

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you can't wake him, ring ambulance
give glucose and emergency glycogen injection, if he has one

Last edited by a moderator:

beccyy14

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
if you can't wake him, ring ambulance
give glucose and emergency glycogen injection, if he has one
Thanks so much for your reply! Apologies, I didn't check this site because the situation ended up ok. Thanks for your advice though, is appreciated.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm glad to hear that he's okay. Speaking from the experience of having done this myself as a youngster, I always found that this "approach" resulted in high rather than low blood sugar issues, due to sugars in both drinks and the food being readily absorbed well before vomiting. I always awoke with a far too high BG level rather than having had any lows overnight, and on one occasion managed to get myself into hospital with hyperglycaemia due to this... It was the first and only time apart from diagnosis, and not something I'm proud of.