Pharmacist mentioned diabetes.... foot help?

Alekzandria

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone
I was hoping to get some advice on a sore I have on my foot as I’ve been unable to find anything that’s not completely horrific looking on the internet. Apparently it’s not worth putting pictures up until an ailment is full blown and at the worst point possible ~shudders~ Anyway, for about two months now I’ve had this ‘thing’ on my foot. It began as a sort of bright red squiggly line in a semi-circle like shape and it didn’t hurt. If anything, it was a little numb/tingly, sort of like that feeling you get after a dental injection when the sensation starts coming back. This past week, however, the middle of it has started to change colour and gone sort of bruised looking in the middle. I spoke to the pharmacist at the weekend (and she called in another pharmacist to look) and they agreed that because it’s not itchy or anything it doesn’t tick any boxes and that her concern would be diabetes and to see my GP.

When I was pregnant with my youngest (he’s now 2.5 years old) I had gestational diabetes and I was told afterwards that if I don’t get back to the weight I was a teenager then I’d probably develop diabetes in 5 years or so. I’ve recently lost a stone using prescribed Orlistat medication (although I haven’t taken these in a couple of weeks so they shouldn’t be affecting any blood results at the moment) and joining a local slimming club and am still losing but still have about 3.5 stone to lose. They told me to keep my blood monitor so I can check if I start showing any symptoms but my GP won’t prescribe me any more lancets or strips as she doesn’t agree with me testing myself (I still have some left that are in date). So today I tested my levels before breakfast and they were 5.9mmol/L. I then had a coffee (with sweetener) and a granola yoghurt and tested myself again two hours later. That reading was 5.5.

I also suffer from Fibromyalgia, Rosacea, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Sleep Apnoea so am fairly tired and sore constantly from all that and the PCOS makes weight loss difficult so it’s really hard to know if something is a new problem or just another symptom of what I already have. If I was a dog I doubt I’d still be here ~lol~

I have an appointment on Thursday to see my GP but am worried about my foot in the meantime and if I should be doing anything else to protect it? Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Alekz

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as you know, you're sugar looks good at prediabetic range.... if it's not infected/***** throbbing and the end of the toe feels sharp when poked with a lancet, thursday should be ok, unless there is a sudden change.
you may need to buy your own strips, the link's below for cheap ones

but you're greedy having Fibromyalgia, Rosacea, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Sleep Apnoea :)
a lot of people have found a LCHF diet help PCOS
https://www.google.com.au/#q=pcos+lchf

it’s a long page and a few video's
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

SD codefree meter
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
if you buy extra boxes of strips there is a discount code ..5 packs 264086

Hi Everyone
I was hoping to get some advice on a sore I have on my foot as I’ve been unable to find anything that’s not completely horrific looking on the internet. Apparently it’s not worth putting pictures up until an ailment is full blown and at the worst point possible ~shudders~ Anyway, for about two months now I’ve had this ‘thing’ on my foot. It began as a sort of bright red squiggly line in a semi-circle like shape and it didn’t hurt. If anything, it was a little numb/tingly, sort of like that feeling you get after a dental injection when the sensation starts coming back. This past week, however, the middle of it has started to change colour and gone sort of bruised looking in the middle. I spoke to the pharmacist at the weekend (and she called in another pharmacist to look) and they agreed that because it’s not itchy or anything it doesn’t tick any boxes and that her concern would be diabetes and to see my GP.

When I was pregnant with my youngest (he’s now 2.5 years old) I had gestational diabetes and I was told afterwards that if I don’t get back to the weight I was a teenager then I’d probably develop diabetes in 5 years or so. I’ve recently lost a stone using prescribed Orlistat medication (although I haven’t taken these in a couple of weeks so they shouldn’t be affecting any blood results at the moment) and joining a local slimming club and am still losing but still have about 3.5 stone to lose. They told me to keep my blood monitor so I can check if I start showing any symptoms but my GP won’t prescribe me any more lancets or strips as she doesn’t agree with me testing myself (I still have some left that are in date). So today I tested my levels before breakfast and they were 5.9mmol/L. I then had a coffee (with sweetener) and a granola yoghurt and tested myself again two hours later. That reading was 5.5.

I also suffer from Fibromyalgia, Rosacea, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Sleep Apnoea so am fairly tired and sore constantly from all that and the PCOS makes weight loss difficult so it’s really hard to know if something is a new problem or just another symptom of what I already have. If I was a dog I doubt I’d still be here ~lol~

I have an appointment on Thursday to see my GP but am worried about my foot in the meantime and if I should be doing anything else to protect it? Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Alekz

Alekzandria

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the information and advice. As an update I saw the GP on Thursday but have been floored with a horrible cold since then and this is the first I've crawled from my bed ~lol~ So the GP said that she's honestly not sure what's going on with my foot. She said it could be a diabetic ulcer before the point where it breaks down but that she would expect me to be really ill if that was the case and for it to be closer to my toes instead of under the arch of my foot. She's treating me for ringworm in the hopes that it goes away but so far it's only getting worse.

I'm to go back next Friday to have fasting bloods done and I handed in a urine sample to be dipped in the surgery for sugar. She said that I may just be glucose intolerant/pre-diabetic as my own readings were high in her opinion (The morning before my appointment they were at 6.9 before breakfast) and mentioned that if they remain high I'll need other blood tests done and that if my foot doesn't clear up and my blood work isn't great then I'll have to have my feet checked by the diabetic hospital.

So mostly it's a waiting game now and I'll come back and let you know how I get on with my bloodwork etc.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your blood tests. Please come back and let us know how you go on.