Pre-diabetes - surprised initial reaction

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here in the UK what is touted as a healthy diet, includes far too many carbs for a type 2 diabetic. for years they've banged on about 5 a day, eating 5 portions of fruit and veg. The recommended meal plan by the medical profession following the NICE guidelines involves basing the diet on approx' 60% carbs.
Many people have found that having religiously eaten the right healthy things all their lives, they've been driven into type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately unless they have an enlightened GP or DN, they will continue eating what they are told is healthy, without realising that that was the problem all along.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am borderline. I too run half marathons but i was eating lots of carbs and junk. I was overweight but lost weight eventually. I severely restrict my carbs and try to eat more veggies, fibre , protein, fat etc. Still in borderline range. Social media does say it can be reversed but it can't be for most diabetics. It progresses for most diabetics.
I know I read those same ads on social media claiming it can be reversed. I think in the early stages it can, possibly, but in my opinion if you are 'carb intolerant' which I guess T2 is a form of carb intolerance, that intolerance doesn't go away, because the moment you starting eating carbs again, up your sugars go. Like any other food intolerance if you abstain from the food your body can't cope with all the symptoms of intolerance goes away, but reintroduce that same food and bam back come those symptoms. I am the same with gluten. I am on a strict gluten free diet and everything is great, but I only have to eat a hidden gluten and boom, I'm sick. So we adapt and overcome.

Reactions: saky