Prediabetic diet??

mickeyg01

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi I've been recently diagnosed with prediabetes the doctor gave me a list of suggestions but I was wondering from you guys what the good stuff is LOL.

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Search low carb diets (lots on YouTube) also go to dietdoctor website they have good suggestions on meals. Don’t pay to join anything as you can gets lots of suggestions for free

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I've been recently diagnosed with prediabetes the doctor gave me a list of suggestions but I was wondering from you guys what the good stuff is LOL.
Hi

At prediabetic I think my intention would have been to reduce the carbs enough to swerve a full diagnosis as T2D.

So you'll have more leeway than others might have, so do take that into consideration when reading about how little or much they limit their carb intake to.

Any changes do have to be sustainable, this isn't one of those trendy diets, that's harsh for a few weeks with miracle results ....(that usually disappear once people start eating normally again)

This has to be something you can enjoy AND sustain for a lifetime.
So take your time, experiment, learn how YOU interact with many of the foods & types you eat on a daily basis.

It can be as Spartan or as elaborately prepared as you like
It just has to be suitable & fit in to YOUR lifestyle.

If you haven't got a meter to test your bloods daily, might I suggest getting one ?

In UK they range from £10-£20 if you include a few strips, and upwards.

US not to sure, I found meters & strips on Amazon & eBay but for me a dedicated site (home health) made better sense, a Google search for US based sites would likely turn up similar online stores for you.

And as for diet...
As said listen to the reasons for restrictions limits, but ..

If wanting the best start, I'd say going back to basics and choosing meat that looks like meat (nothing cooked & packaged up as a meal)

And veg that looks like veg
(See diet doctor 'visuals' for vegetable carbs content .lower is best )

Combine the veg & meat , cook & add spices, etc as you desire.

Like I say you most likely can have a looser rein then many, but by doing the above for most meals, you'll have reduced a lot of carbs

Carbs that most of us intake on a normal day without even considering how many ..(well that is until we get the dreaded warning or diagnosis )

Forums been very helpful to me, I hope you find it the same for yourself.

Good luck.

Last edited:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's fairly simple. This relates to type 2, and is the simple version - but there's a lot more to it than "calories in, calories out". In fact I think that calories don't matter.

If your blood glucose has gone out of normal range (which is 38-42 mmol/mol as measured by the HbA1c test) that demonstrates that your metabolism is no longer dealing with carbohydrate in the way that it should. All carbohydrate when eaten is digested to glucose and that glucose passes into the bloodstream. The liver also stores glucose (in another form) and will add glucose to the bloodstream even when we've not eaten.

If the body's insulin is not enabling glucose to pass into muscle cells and be used as fuel, the glucose either hangs around in the bloodstream (causing a rise in blood glucose levels) or is converted to bodyfat. High blood glucose over time does damage - eg physical damage to nerves and small blood vessels in the body, leading to many problems.

As there is nothing we can practically do about the insulin effectiveness issue most of us concentrate on reducing the load on the system by reducing the amount of carbs consumed. This reduces the load on the system with the aim of getting to the point where the body can cope with the carb load, evidenced by blood glucose levels returning to normal levels. Weight loss may also happen.

In practical terms for me this means not eating any potato, rice, pasta, bread, pastry (anything flour based really), sugar including most fruit, and beer. I also avoid instant/convenience/pre-prepared things.

Instead I eat meat, fish, and dairy and green veg - basically your food is natural protein and fats. I've never felt hungry and haven't felt as good in myself as I do now for well over twelve years. Evidence that this works is below in my signature.