pregnant & sugars

chris4981

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my wife is 13 weeks pregnant, her sugars have been on average about 5.5, but since yesterday they have been high -ish.
8.7 at the highest yesterday, she was told by diabetic nurse last week that they will start to go up, but we didn't think it would be this early

I only ask because she has had 4 miscarriages before so really need to keep on top of the sugars for this one to go well. Ive rung the hospital and they've advised i ring antenatal clinic on Monday and see if I can get her appointment moved forward to this coming Thursday rather than the Thursday after.

ANY advice would be gratefully received

:)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi again, Chris :)

8.7 is a bit higher than desired but not horribly so. Is there any reason why your wife is going high eg a cold, stress, etc? Has she been less active than usual? Are the highs at particular times eg after meals?

I think I remember that your wife is on insulin, but I can't remember how often she injects or whether she counts carbs.

Edited to add - does she do correction doses when her sugar is high?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sugars usually go down early in pregnancy. In general, pregnant women become more sensitive to insulin then. Around 12 weeks that extra sensitivity goes and they're roughly back to non-pregnant levels. Then at approx 15 weeks the insulin resistance starts. These are only rough figures. Every woman varies.

So it's not impossible your wife may need to start to make tiny adjustments.

chris4981

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
hiya azure, yeah she has had a cold on and off for the last week, its been coming and going
the highs are usually on the late afternoon, night time-ish. she is on lantis morning and night, and novorapid everytime she eats

she has been having lows for the last 5-6 weeks but they say that is normal, as baby is taking all the good stuff

chris4981

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugars usually go down early in pregnancy. In general, pregnant women become more sensitive to insulin then. Around 12 weeks that extra sensitivity goes and they're roughly back to non-pregnant levels. Then at approx 15 weeks the insulin resistance starts. These are only rough figures. Every woman varies.

So it's not impossible your wife may need to start to make tiny adjustments.
she is good at making adjustments as and when needed I must say

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hiya azure, yeah she has had a cold on and off for the last week, its been coming and going
the highs are usually on the late afternoon, night time-ish. she is on lantis morning and night, and novorapid everytime she eats

she has been having lows for the last 5-6 weeks but they say that is normal, as baby is taking all the good stuff

Yep, the lows are normal, and can be quite sudden and fierce.

It could easily be the cold causing the slight highs, I'd say. As she's recovering from that, I'd be cautious with any corrections. The only thing to do is test frequently and proceed carefully. Her sugars could improve naturally. If she's worried about correcting with insulin, a short walk or even household chores can get sugars down. I found sitting down right after a meal made them a bit high, but something like tidying washing away helped keep them in range.

It's really good your wife is doing so well. I started to relax a little more after 14 weeks.each. Each week that passes is one closer.

chris4981

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, the lows are normal, and can be quite sudden and fierce.

It could easily be the cold causing the slight highs, I'd say. As she's recovering from that, I'd be cautious with any corrections. The only thing to do is test frequently and proceed carefully. Her sugars could improve naturally. If she's worried about correcting with insulin, a short walk or even household chores can get sugars down. I found sitting down right after a meal made them a bit high, but something like tidying washing away helped keep them in range.

It's really good your wife is doing so well. I started to relax a little more after 14 weeks.each. Each week that passes is one closer.
thanx azure we are really anxious about the next scan, just because of our history, but just trying to take each week as it comes
she is even worried now because the symptoms are going now, but I said that's normal that they would subside now with being 13 weeks +

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanx azure we are really anxious about the next scan, just because of our history, but just trying to take each week as it comes
she is even worried now because the symptoms are going now, but I said that's normal that they would subside now with being 13 weeks +

Yes, that's normal. My sickness and other symptoms reduced around 12 weeks. But they came and went a little.

I didn't really relax until after the 20 week scan when I could see everything was ok. Then I had little milestones I counted down to.

When I got anxious I tried to potter about and take my mind off things. I also did relaxation exercises. Mine was an IVF pregnancy so I couldn't help but worry.

Take one day at a time. I found my midwife appointments helped me, along with the diabetes ones. She was very reassuring.

All the best to you both. :)

(Apologies for short sentences - squirmy baby in my arms! )

chris4981

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, that's normal. My sickness and other symptoms reduced around 12 weeks. But they came and went a little.

I didn't really relax until after the 20 week scan when I could see everything was ok. Then I had little milestones I counted down to.

When I got anxious I tried to potter about and take my mind off things. I also did relaxation exercises. Mine was an IVF pregnancy so I couldn't help but worry.

Take one day at a time. I found my midwife appointments helped me, along with the diabetes ones. She was very reassuring.

All the best to you both. :)

(Apologies for short sentences - squirmy baby in my arms! )
you have been brilliant thanx azure :)

Reactions: 2 people

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arogance, Bullies, Rudeness, Discrimination towards diabetes
Throughout pregnancy i was told my bloodsugars would be unpredictable, i was on less insulin in my first and second trimesters but my insulin trippled during the end of my second trimester as my bloodsugars shot up due to different hormones during these times.

Keep a close contact with her diabetic team as much as you can.

chris4981

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Throughout pregnancy i was told my bloodsugars would be unpredictable, i was on less insulin in my first and second trimesters but my insulin trippled during the end of my second trimester as my bloodsugars shot up due to different hormones during these times.

Keep a close contact with her diabetic team as much as you can.
will do thank you mary :)