Protective effects of HDL in Type 1s

pjcand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In a recent discussion of my lipids with my consultant she mentioned that the protective effects of HDL are reduced in Type 1 diabetics in comparison with the normal population. I haven't been able to extract from her the study which details this and was wondering if anyone else had heard about it and perhaps knows where the evidence for this comes from?

Ultimately it relates to my raised Cholesterol (both LDL and HDL) and a difference of opinion on whether I require a statin. The consultant's point was that my low trigs/high HDL were not particularly beneficial to me as a Type 1 and therefore the high LDL was not offset by the high HDL.

pjcand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic, thanks very much, exactly what I was looking for and it seems it also includes an explanation as to my slightly high levels of oxidized LDL. I now need to now more about Serum Paraoxonase!!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The paper's title specifies "glycated" HDL loses its protective effect. That implies that if we keep our BS in range, our HDL may regain its protective effect.

Reactions: 5 people

pjcand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a good point. Do you know if there are any markers in my blood tests to determine if my HDL is glycated, is it related to oxidized LDL?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's the abstract of a report that reports exactly that hypothesis.http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021915000005566

As does this one:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15181084
Brilliant, Tim. The second one has this bit wh v interesting:

"In our experimental conditions, no statistically significant correlations have been established between HbA1c levels and HDL-PON activity or the protective capacity of HDL against peroxidation in diabetic patients, suggesting that glycemic control is not directly involved in these HDL properties."

What would be the mechanism, then, if not poor glycemic control?

It's fascinating, isn't it.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Brilliant, Tim. The second one has this bit wh v interesting:

"In our experimental conditions, no statistically significant correlations have been established between HbA1c levels and HDL-PON activity or the protective capacity of HDL against peroxidation in diabetic patients, suggesting that glycemic control is not directly involved in these HDL properties."

What would be the mechanism, then, if not poor glycemic control?

It's fascinating, isn't it.
Lucy, I think that all that this says is that managing blood sugar is not correlated with HDL-PON activity, in other words, it's not blood glucose level that drives the efficacity of the antioxidant effect of HDL, but something else that is part of diabetes. At a guess, it is likely to be linked to the horrmone imbalance that is present. For example we know that in certain cell types like those of the retina, with a lack of insulin, oxidation occurs more freely than in a non-diabetic and that is a major part of what causes the damage.

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
in other words, it's not blood glucose level that drives the efficacity of the antioxidant effect of HDL, but something else that is part of diabetes. At a guess, it is likely to be linked to the horrmone imbalance that is present. For example we know that in certain cell types like those of the retina, with a lack of insulin, oxidation occurs more freely than in a non-diabetic and that is a major part of what causes the damage.
Yes, that's my understanding of it as well.

In other words, good BG control can only get us so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people