pump an daphne course

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles :)
Hi all quick question do you need to do the daphne course to be able to have a pump through NHS Wales tia

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did a dafne equivalent a few years before going on a insulin pump. I think most care providers consider a recognised carb counting course a prerequisite of obtaining and pump.

Reactions: Carptastic

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles :)
I did a dafne equivalent a few years before going on a insulin pump. I think most care providers consider a recognised carb counting course a prerequisite of obtaining and pump.
thank you

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was required to do the local equivalent of the DAFNE course.
I believe there were at least two reasons for this
- ensure you understand how to carb count as pump requires more accurate carb counting
- ensure we are willing to invest the time and effort needed to get value from a pump.

Whilst I had had diabetes for 12 years at the time, the course was useful for me. The time was well spent.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also had to go on a local variant of the DAFNE course, and had previously been carb counting since I was started on basal/bolus (sometime in the late 80's I think - not quite sure when)
But I did actually learn a few things that I didn't previously know and definitely benefitted from it (before I went on it I was convinced it would be a waste of time and they could teach me nothing lol - well they did)

Reactions: oldgreymare

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes same here I did DAFNE and despite what I thought I knew I still learned a lot from it. (Also nice to meet fellow t1d’s too)

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34