Pump Might Be Close

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started going through the local pump assessment process about a month ago and had to fill out a detailed food diary, and prove that I could carb count from various different labels and food plates given to me.

At the time I was told it would go to a board in March and they will let me know either way.

I was at my clinic appointment this morning and the consultant mentioned it to me and said he basically is the board which decides on them and he seemed really supportive of the idea which I was surprised about. Apparently the meeting is being held next week so hopefully I will find out about it after that.

I am really surprised about the speed of things as I know quite alot of people on here have bother getting approved. Going on a pump was mentioned to me as a possibility in October yet I never formally asked for it to be looked at until Mid-January and they got the wheels in montion then.

Obviously my case might still get knocked back but everyone seems to be really positive about it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is good news, really hope it all goes well and the pump makes a difference :)

Reactions: 2 people

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really hope you get good news! I have only been on a pump for 3 weeks but I can honestly say it has been the best move I have ever made, I absolutely live the freedom and accuracy it gives me with my levels. Good luck!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hopefully all goes well.

Told it could still take months after approval as there has to be staff available to support it and it has to be at a time that's ok with me too as I have to take a week off work at the beginning.

I've seen a lot of people on here saying how much freedom it gives them.

I've only had type 1 since June 2012 and it was suggested to me then as a possibility and I was dead against the idea. Over time I have changed my mind on it. Maybe doing 6-8 injections a day is what changed my mind.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diabetic for 23 years so it's something I've always known and the 6-8 injections a day has never bothered me. However when I hit my late teens and was controlling it without my parents (plus being a moody rebellious teenager) I didn't control it at all and hba1cs were always extremely high and this lasted years until I got pregnant with my first child. Straight away I clamped down on my bloods but still they weren't as good as they could be, however I only realise this now I have a pump. There were so many lows and they offered me a pump, being quite happy with the way things were I refused but then after the pregnancy things went back to bad with quite high hba1cs. I struggled getting my bloods down pre pregnancy this time and was having lots of yoyoing bloods in pregnancy when they offered me a pump. I researched online as much as possible and thought I'd try it as everyone was raving about pumps, even if it was just whilst pregnant. How wrong I was?! I absolutely love it and can't imagine my life before the pump with all the needles! My bloods are so much steadier and the majority are in target, and if not I can correct even if its slightly out by as little as 0.1 of a unit (blood control is very tight in pregnancy with targets between 4-5.9). It's hard work at first with lots of hypos, I found even at a 20% reduction in what I was having pre pump so I agree having a week off work will help you find where you need to be. Make some good records and adjust when you see the patterns of lows and high and you will be there in no time. It may be worth you practising your carb counting straight away too this will come in really useful. I have a brilliant book and app called carbs and cals that has been a godsend for out and about!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diabetic for 23 years so it's something I've always known and the 6-8 injections a day has never bothered me. However when I hit my late teens and was controlling it without my parents (plus being a moody rebellious teenager) I didn't control it at all and hba1cs were always extremely high and this lasted years until I got pregnant with my first child. Straight away I clamped down on my bloods but still they weren't as good as they could be, however I only realise this now I have a pump. There were so many lows and they offered me a pump, being quite happy with the way things were I refused but then after the pregnancy things went back to bad with quite high hba1cs. I struggled getting my bloods down pre pregnancy this time and was having lots of yoyoing bloods in pregnancy when they offered me a pump. I researched online as much as possible and thought I'd try it as everyone was raving about pumps, even if it was just whilst pregnant. How wrong I was?! I absolutely love it and can't imagine my life before the pump with all the needles! My bloods are so much steadier and the majority are in target, and if not I can correct even if its slightly out by as little as 0.1 of a unit (blood control is very tight in pregnancy with targets between 4-5.9). It's hard work at first with lots of hypos, I found even at a 20% reduction in what I was having pre pump so I agree having a week off work will help you find where you need to be. Make some good records and adjust when you see the patterns of lows and high and you will be there in no time. It may be worth you practising your carb counting straight away too this will come in really useful. I have a brilliant book and app called carbs and cals that has been a godsend for out and about!

Thank you for your advice.

I've used the carbs and cals app since day one and its great.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App