Question about raising your blood sugar before exercise

Mamaeto3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys

First time I have posted on this site. So hello everyone. Am type 1 for over 20 years.
I am trying to loose weight (I want to loose 5 kilos) and have bought a running machine as I work full time and have 3 kids so it is hard to get out and to a gym.
But over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my blood sugars are sometimes a bit low after running and or after.
I normally correct my hypos with some coca-cola and then a biscuit.
But am wondering what happens with those sugars weight wise.
I mean lets say I just ran 5 km and burnt up 250 calories. Well, drinking some coke and eating a biscuit is just going to even that right out isn't it?
But if my blood sugars are low, surely those calories are burnt up directly to raise my blood sugar levels right? I mean if my blood sugar is low and they are going to get used up then they are not going to get stored up as fat?
I know I should just take less insulin before my dinner as then my sugars will be a bit high and then I won't risk hypo after excercise right?

Any ideas how best to fix this?
Adela

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would reduce insulin with meal prior to exercise it may take some experimenting to get ratio and BG levels right but better this than have to treat a hypo.

Reactions: 4 people

moz1

Try just going on a lower carb diet and watching your fat intake to help weight loss. Just be careful not to exercise on a bg in the teens as bg can go higher. I tend to sip lucozade sport whilst exercising seems to work. There are some other issues when it comes to real heavy exercising which others on forum may be better to advise you on if needed.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with both posts above, a smaller bolus with the pre exercise meal and lower your overall carbs...exercise is good for fitness, cutting carbs is good for weight loss and BG control, you replace the lost energy with healthy fats.. there are a few LC T1's here

Last edited by a moderator:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some exercises will push your levels up. The type of exercises that do this are high intensity ones. For example, running at a high pace or weightlifting. You'll need to experiment as everyone will be different in this regard.

Make sure that you don't have any fast acting insulin in you (usually takes 4-5 hours to leave your system) and you shouldn't see any plummeting levels. Also, if your overnight levels are dropping, you might need to adjust your basal insulin dose.

Reactions: 2 people