Randomly high sugar at 15 weeks

rads41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I haven't posted for months. I had a miscarraige in April at 8 weeks but the good news is I'm pregnant again and at 15 weeks! So far my Hba1c have been really good,,highest 6.4 and my last one this week is 5.4. I've been making my targets (<7 two hours after food and < 5.5 fasting). I have had a couple of wee spikes but nothing too dramatic. Until today that is - woke up on a 7.7!!!! Now, 3.5 hours after lunch my reading is 8.3! ( I forgot to check later hours after, stupid me). It was my birthday yesterday and ate low carb cupcakes (3g carb) and loads of carb free ( and sugar free) ice cream - am kicking myself now incase it was that.
I am of course now really panicking that I've done some damage to my baby . Are one off spikes ok, even if they've been happening for a whole day? I've taken correction doses of insulin today and they're helping but I can't stop worrying. Any advice or help greatly appreciated. I'm really anxious this pregnancy ( prob because of the last time)
Thank you all in advance

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations @rads41 and sorry about your previous miscarriage. I can understand why that would make you more anxious.

Your spikes are a bit higher than the desired level, but they're not dreadful :) You corrected them, that's the main thing :) My consultant said that a very brief high (and yours weren't horribly high anyway) is ok as long as you correct.

I found that around 16 wks or so, the earlier lows started to fade and I had to concentrate more on controlling my BS. So keep an eye on things in case your basal and/or ratios need a slight adjustment in the coming weeks. Are you on a pump or injections?

I had some spikes up to 11 and my son is fine :) I tested, spotted them and corrected them.

Don't worry yourself. Those spikes weren't super-high and were only brief :)

rads41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @azure . It's so reassuring to hear from others that have been through this. I will certainly keep an eye out for increases n the next few weeks. I'm on injections but as long as I keep testing hopefully I'll catch highs quickly. It's all so worrying! Am trying to stay zen though

Reactions: azure