Recommendations for breakfast

bluecreamskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Help I also need some easy quick recipes for breakfast (not eggs) as I really am not hungry first thing and need to take tablets after a meal. Any advice please. What do other T2 eat first thing?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

I don't eat when I'm not hungry - what would be the point? I generally get by on coffee until 1.30/2pm. Do you have to take the tablets at a set time, or might you have more flexibility?

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I 'm fat adapted, so I don't feel hungry in a morning either. It took me about 4 months of Low Carb for me to get to that point (before diagnosis I'd always eaten breakfast - usually porridge with blueberries and a banana).
On weekends I'm OMAD, but even on weekdays when I eat 2 meals, the first one is lunch (after mid day).

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A quick and easy option is to mix milled seeds (lidl do mixed packets) into thick plain yoghurt.
I often make a large amount (about 5 tablespoons of seeds to 500g yoghurt) add a few berries. It then sits in the fridge getting thicker every day so it becomes texture of overnight oats. Just a few spoonfuls of the made mixture will help your tablet situation without increasing bg too much or making you feel over full.
You could swap the berries for a little coffee, or chopped chocolate or a nut butter

Reactions: Paul41

Paule Foster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Help I also need some easy quick recipes for breakfast (not eggs) as I really am not hungry first thing and need to take tablets after a meal. Any advice please. What do other T2 eat first thing?

I generally have half a portion of Liz’s low sugar nuts & seeds granola (looks like bird food but tastes nice) with thick Greek yoghurt & sometimes some berries. This keeps me going until mid morning snack & means the tablets don’t upset my stomach.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally have half a portion of Liz’s low sugar nuts & seeds granola (looks like bird food but tastes nice) with thick Greek yoghurt & sometimes some berries. This keeps me going until mid morning snack & means the tablets don’t upset my stomach.
At 45.2 grams of carbs per 100 grams this granola is likely to spike BG for many of us, especially if they're not on glucose lowering medication.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t have breakfast just coffee with cream. I take Metformin and blood pressure tablets with kefir and done this for over a year without any adverse effects.

You could have a chunk of cheese, slice of ham or bacon if you felt you needed to eat

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m learning and now intend Greek yogurt and berries. I read that H&B do a low carb granola to mix in.
I very rarely have breakfast - just coffee usually. When I do it's a fry-up. Granola is a far-off land of which I know nothing.

Reactions: MissMuffett

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have chia seeds that I soak in hot water or soy milk. I then add either some matcha and almond butter or cocoa powder and peanut butter. I also have berries.

JanniB

I usually have Greek Yogurt with either raspberries/blueberries or small Satsuma and husband (now prediabetes) has the same!