Running gels/snacks for type 2 diabetes

Jull

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 6 months ago, I have been running for a while, now on Metformin 1 per day, low carb diet and I exercise 4 or 5 times a week. I’ve signed up for my first half marathon in September! Yay! But I’m totally lost with what kind of snacks/gels and fuelling drinks I should take during long runs. Any advice would help! Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jull - do you have a meter so you can test what works for you?

I don't think you have to worry about going hypo as you're only on Metformin. So the only consideration would be what you need to get you through the run without pushing your sugars too high.

My sugars normally bottom out when I exercise. You may find yours do the same, even with snack/gel/drink.

People are different though. Some find their sugars increase during intense exercise.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jull welcome to the forum :)

This slink below is aimed at T1 on insulin who run/do sports but you may find some of it helpful or give you some ideas

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Hi @Jull - do you have a meter so you can test what works for you?

I don't think you have to worry about going hypo as you're only on Metformin. So the only consideration would be what you need to get you through the run without pushing your sugars too high.

My sugars normally bottom out when I exercise. You may find yours do the same, even with snack/gel/drink.

People are different though. Some find their sugars increase during intense exercise.
Wish mine did they tend to go up but steady much later in the day