significance of fasting score versus HbA1c

smdublin

I was diagnosed quite late in my first pregnancy, was on insulin the last five weeks and had a big baby by emg section. (I wasn't induced until 40 weeks plus 5 days which seems late to me now).

I'm now 22 weeks and have been well controlled so far by diet. My HbA1c is 5.3. However, my fasting glucose is also average 5.3 and my care team want it to be below 5. I was put on insulin overnight but after 2 nights of hypos I couldn't take it anymore.

My question is if the HbA1c is good - which they say it is - I would like to know what exactly the ideal target is - then is the fasting glucose really so important?

At some point my endocrinologist seems determined to put me on insulin (she keeps saying it's earlier in the second pregnancy) even though I know much more about the disease this time and my diet is so much more appropriate. At what point do I have to accept insulin for the good of the baby? I appreciate any comments.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
hiya - sorry to hear your struggling with the insulin. I'm pregestational diabetic, but have had to go on novorapid since getting pregnant and keep my bg's real low - I am going hypo on a daily basis, and trying to sort it out with the nurses but have accepted that some hypos inevitable, would rather that than be too high and affect the baby's health, so yes you may have to accept the insulin for the baby, as I have, but if the choice is a few hypos or the risk of things going wrong with the pregnancy, well I know what I have chosen....

It is hard though. I get p'd off with it all on a daily basis. Good luck

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sorry to hear you are both having a tough time with keeping your levels low.

But hope you both have beautiful baby's at the end of your pregnancy's. :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Thanks Sid. only consolation is that after the pregnancy, when I go back to being a 'normal' diabetic, I will never complain about having diabetes again (until the next time I am pregnant!)