Slightly confused

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So my hba1c results are 36, which is pretty impressive from 78 in Feb, but that's a whole Lchf story. However my finger prick tests always seem to be on the higher side of the NICE guidelines for someone with T2. Obviously I know I am on the right track doing what I am doing to have such good hba1c figures, but if they were that good shouldn't my daily tests be a bit lower?!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same story for me. 88 to 32 from April to July but rarely do I get a FBG of below 5.7.

I'm not too worried as the HbA1c is much more important.

Reactions: 2 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you think about it, your FBG is only that value for a short time, maybe a couple of hours (or less) and then you eat. If you control your post-meal values tightly by eating LCHF, that's most of the day and into the night.

Another possibility is that your meter has a consistent error and gives you higher results than they really are.

BTW, yes, pretty impressive HbA1C indeed! Congratulations, well done both @trinity0097 and @britishpub !

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
It might be you just need to make sure your your post meal tests are just over 2hrs after your meal is finished as 15 minutes either way can make á huge difference.
You could also check your meter against control solution.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be you just need to make sure your your post meal tests are just over 2hrs after your meal is finished as 15 minutes either way can make á huge difference.
You could also check your meter against control solution.

2 hours after your meal is finished? I understand the correct timing is 2 hours after your first bite. That is how I have always done it, based on the fact digestion starts the minute the food is in your mouth.

Well done @trinity0097 that is a remarkable achievement. :)

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
2 hours after your meal is finished? I understand the correct timing is 2 hours after your first bite. That is how I have always done it, based on the fact digestion starts the minute the food is in your mouth.

Well done @trinity0097 that is a remarkable achievement. :)
The rise starts with the first bite but you are still ingesting food until the last bite goes down.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The rise starts with the first bite but you are still ingesting food until the last bite goes down.

I think you will find most people on here test at a time after their first bite.

Jenny Ruhl (Blood Sugar 101 http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php ) Says:

When is the best time to test my blood sugar?

Because it is post-meal blood sugars that most greatly stress your beta cells, the best time to test your blood sugar is the time, after eating, when blood sugars are the highest. For most people this will be somewhere between 1 hour and 90 minutes after they begin to eat their meal.

By 2 hours, the levels should be well on their way down, which is why I test a new meal at an hour, 90 minutes, and 2 hours (and keep going if necessary). My own records and averages show my highest readings are about 90 minutes after first bite. Of course, much depends on the combination of foods eaten and the length of time it takes to eat the meal.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@trinity and @britishpub

Is there any chance you are eating more protein than you need to?

This happened to me.
As soon as i discovered the almost magical effect of protein breakfasts on lowering my dawn phenomenon, and the equally magical effect of protein enabling me to sneak little lc desserts in... Well, i was hooked.

Took me months to realise this extra protein was halting my weight loss, keeping my bg a little higher

The problem is that as soom as i dropped my protein, i started dipping into hypo-land a little, although the weight loss has begun again (slowly)
- basically, all i needed to do was dump the protein breakfasts and drink coffee with cream instead. Ended up with more calories from fat, but less protein. :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

So my hba1c results are 36, which is pretty impressive from 78 in Feb, but that's a whole Lchf story. However my finger prick tests always seem to be on the higher side of the NICE guidelines for someone with T2. Obviously I know I am on the right track doing what I am doing to have such good hba1c figures, but if they were that good shouldn't my daily tests be a bit lower?!
I have 2 meters - a Codefree and a Nano. The Codefree always reads higher.

Well done on your amazing progress :)

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@trinity and @britishpub

Is there any chance you are eating more protein than you need to?

This happened to me.
As soon as i discovered the almost magical effect of protein breakfasts on lowering my dawn phenomenon, and the equally magical effect of protein enabling me to sneak little lc desserts in... Well, i was hooked.

Took me months to realise this extra protein was halting my weight loss, keeping my bg a little higher

The problem is that as soom as i dropped my protein, i started dipping into hypo-land a little, although the weight loss has begun again (slowly)
- basically, all i needed to do was dump the protein breakfasts and drink coffee with cream instead. Ended up with more calories from fat, but less protein. :)
I probably do have a bit too much protein, my weight loss has halted a bit, but my blood sugars are normal. However I do have to try to cook in a way that is suitable for my hubby who can't/won't stick to a Lchf diet so not everything can be slathered in butter for him!
I have tried to get him to do Lchf, but it's too radical for his aspergic tendencies and he doesn't deal well with too much dairy (cream or cheese).

People keep telling me I'm so skinny (although officially still just obese according to bmi) even though I know I'm not, just skinnier! Size 18 is a huge improvement for me, so willing to keep weight fairly stable at the moment if my hba1c is fantastic!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@trinity0097: You've done extremely well in a short time - congratulations!

When I first started testing I also though I had to test 2 hours after I'd finished eating rather than 2 hours after starting, and those results were consistently lower. I changed both my meter and my timings about the same time, and originally assumed my post meal results were then higher due to differences in meters, now I think it was due to the timings.

I'm actually much more interested in my daily tests as theses tell me what's going on, and how stable my levels are - HbA1c as an average can't tell me if that average has come from highs and lows or fairly level readings - and these last are what I'm aiming for. I've also used the Diabetes UK converter to "predict" my next HbA1c from my meter's 3 monthly values, so far both have been pretty close for my last two checks, and I think this correlation may be due in part to my (apparent) general lack of spikes.

Robbity

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop

Hi
I think the key thing is that the Hba1c test is not measuring blood glucose like your finger testing meters do, it is a different measure altogether - I have previously found a correlation elsewhere on this forum which I can't immediately recall as I felt I was seeing exactly the same, my averages indicated it should be about 5.7 butt he Hba1c came back a fair bit lower. From memory, an average of 5,7 FBG would result in an Hba1c of around 5.1.

HTH