Slow release Metformin

ehullis3823

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi.
My mum is type 2 diabetes, initially diet controlled and then onto Glyclazide (I apologise if I am not spelling these medications correctly). They tried her on metformin and she had a bad reaction (almost paralysis). Two years ago, before I moved back home, she was put on sitaglyptin which gave her awful diahorrea - even though she had let her GP know, she went through colonoscopies and all sorts before I read the leaflet and told her it was a side effect and to tell her diabetic nurse. They took her off it. No further problems, she stuck with the glyclazide. Two and a half months ago she changed GP's and was put on slow release metformin. Since then, approximately every two weeks she had a problem. First was suspected Whooping cough (she was coughing up blood). Two weeks later her leg "gave way" and she broke a bone in her foot and was on crutches (which she wouldn't use but anyhow...). Two weeks after that she dropped a pan of boiling water on her foot causing superficial burns and was admitted to A&E. Admittedly she telephoned my sister, me and her sister the next day and wasn't making much sense but we all thought it was the effects of the morphine and cocodamol she has been given. A day later she was taken to A&E and was diagnosed with stroke (blood clot not bleed). She is still in hospital and they are giving her a combi of insulin and....SR Metformin. Personally, I feel if it looks like coincidence it probably isnt, but the doctors are insisting that she was at risk of a stroke because of her diabetes. But all these incidents/issues occurred after taking SR Metformin and yet she knows and told her GP and her notes show she had a reaction to Metformin. I am not happy that they keep giving this to her - I am not saying she was always well behaved with her diabetes but I do feel that this change in medication seems to have coincided with all these incidents. Does anyone know anything about the side effects/increased risk of strokes with this drug as opposed to what worked before? Or am I reading too much into it?

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Is the prescribing Dr aware of her previous bad reactions? My experience with hospital doctors (no offence to the good ones) is they skip half the notes. My dad is brain damage as a result of a heart attack and they always mess his meds up.
I wish your mum the best of luck and a speedy recovery

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm very sorry to read about the various problems that your Mum had experienced. In general Metformin whether the standard variety or the slow release type is a proven reliable diabetic medication. Yes there are some side effects associated with this medication but in general they wear off within a short time period.
Your Dr's mention of increased risk as a diabetic is probably based on the fact that most diabetics (particularly Type 2) tend to be overweight, which in many cases over many years might worsen the blood flow within the arteries and small blood vessels, which increases the risk of a potential stroke or some other circulatory problem.
It would be wrong of us here on this diabetic site to attempt to diagnose your Mum's condition as we simply aren't medically qualified to do so.
Metformin is one of the first line diabetic medications in controlling diabetes where that individual might be slightly overweight and diet is unable to control their diabetes. There are a few individuals who for whatever reason simply cannot get on with Metformin but they are very rare.
Please let us know what the outcome is, and as Leeemerick says 'the best of luck'

Last edited by a moderator: