snacks

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I ask what you eat for a snack, as I am a newbie blood tester I am avoiding all obvious carbs as they seem to send my Blood Sugar level quite high, last Thursday my fasting Blood level was 17 it has come down each morning and today it was 10.3, I am keeping a food diary and so far bread and potaoes send it back into the high teens.... previously if I was hungry I'd have a sandwich or perhaps a bag of crisps, now I'm having a few mixed nuts which seem to be OK but I'm not over keen, so any ideas would be appreciated, I have looked on the what have you eaten today post but not had much luck

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Boiled eggs, cheese, ham etc.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can I ask what you eat for a snack, as I am a newbie blood tester I am avoiding all obvious carbs as they seem to send my Blood Sugar level quite high, last Thursday my fasting Blood level was 17 it has come down each morning and today it was 10.3, I am keeping a food diary and so far bread and potaoes send it back into the high teens.... previously if I was hungry I'd have a sandwich or perhaps a bag of crisps, now I'm having a few mixed nuts which seem to be OK but I'm not over keen, so any ideas would be appreciated, I have looked on the what have you eaten today post but not had much luck

The thing is, why are thinking snacking?

You should be either thinking eating enough for three meals a day, preferably low carb, with nothing in between as much as possible.

Or you should be eating smaller meals, little and often to get you through the day!

You shouldn't be doing both. As you would be eating too much.

You've done well on getting your blood glucose levels down so far.
If you want them down further and hopefully lose weight, then plate size is important!

Best wishes.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Cheese, pate, celery is yummy filled with Philadelphia cheese or peanut butter, Baby Bel cheeses, ham filled with Philly and rolled, I also hard boil eggs and store them in the fridge, good filler

Reactions: 2 people

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for responding and for offering some very useful suggestions, this forum is a huge help

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @nosher8355 It's better to eat proper, filling low carb meals instead of relying on snacks. But if you need a snack some left over omelette or boiled egg or nuts can be handy.

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't rely on snacks, but occasionally I get hungry between meals, I am trying to be sensible and change my eating habits

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't rely on snacks, but occasionally I get hungry between meals, I am trying to be sensible and change my eating habits

As a snacker, that's me, you can snack all day, like me and low carb, but instead of calling them snacks have something called a small meal.
I'm being serious, I eat maybe, 6, 7 ,or 8 small meals a day, everyday!
The only difference is your not having big meals and small meals as well!
After a while doing low carb, the urge to snack should go away.
Don't forget to have the full fat and drink plenty of water.
Have a glass of water before your meal, it's surprising how you feel full after eating so little.
Little and often is good for you!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a snacker, that's me, you can snack all day, like me and low carb, but instead of calling them snacks have something called a small meal.
I'm being serious, I eat maybe, 6, 7 ,or 8 small meals a day, everyday!
The only difference is your not having big meals and small meals as well!
After a while doing low carb, the urge to snack should go away.
Don't forget to have the full fat and drink plenty of water.
Have a glass of water before your meal, it's surprising how you feel full after eating so little.
Little and often is good for you!
Are you sure? Little and often is very good for you but then you are weird, right? ;)
I was told that snacking was bad for the teeth and as an adult rarely eat more than three times a day. But that's me.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you sure? Little and often is very good for you but then you are weird, right? ;)
I was told that snacking was bad for the teeth and as an adult rarely eat more than three times a day. But that's me.

Yeah I'm weird, but who isn't?

I just think that he is doing both and eating too much!

Little and often say six times a day, shouldn't be a problem and it would cut down on his intake overall.
If he can do three meals a day, then that's great, but doing big meals and snacks, isn't that worse?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I'm weird, but who isn't?

I just think that he is doing both and eating too much!

Little and often say six times a day, shouldn't be a problem and it would cut down on his intake overall.
If he can do three meals a day, then that's great, but doing big meals and snacks, isn't that worse?
I wouldn't know as I'm a two meals per day kind of person and as I guess @chefdee is a chef that means she will be so busy cooking for others she hasn't the time to eat proper meals.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wouldn't know as I'm a two meals per day kind of person and as I guess @chefdee is a chef that means she will be so busy cooking for others she hasn't the time to eat proper meals.

Surely, little and often!
How does a diabetic chef get around not tasting and testing food all day?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm definitely in agreement with@Totto and our uniquely weirdo @nosher8355 :D over snacking.

Needing one usually means either my meal wasn't filling enough or I've eaten a few too many carbs, so I don't normally feel the need to snack when I'm eating properly. But a cup of creamy coffee, or a single piece of Lindt 85% dark choclate will fill the gap. for me.

Robbity

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want a sandwich get hold of some high protein rolls from Lidl.Each one is about 11g of carbohydrate.They are very filling and slice up nicely to make a proper sandwich.Providing you are careful with low carb fillings job done.

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your right I am a chef or to be precise I was a Head Chef now retired, and yes being a chef played havoc with my appetite in my case lots of irregular mealtimes, and yes I had to taste lots of dishes.....so now I am retraining myself to eat 3 regular meals a day whilst fitting into a diabetic lifestyle, you never stop learning do you but so far this forum is invaluable

S

Sean01

Hi, I'm new to this and finding the issue of snacks difficult as I have constantly grazed for more than 30 years. This is what is working for me: nuts are good - walnuts and almonds - but just a few. I miss eating so I get over that by chewing my food better rather than just throwing it down the hatch. I also like pumpkin seeds and they have the added benefit of reducing the number of times I go to the bathroom at night (up to 5 times a night if I come off the pumpkin seeds). Other than that, low GI foods like vegetables - It took a while, but raw cauliflour works and it takes ages to eat. I don't have fizzy drinks, just water, black tea and black coffee, no sweeteners and definitely no sugar. The splash of milk probably wont hurt but a milky tea or white coffee is just crying out for a biscuit and I can't eat just one.. I also have a few fruseli bars in the desk draw - small portion ( and getting smaller like everything else in that aisle) In the evening, at home, I have some sweet potato (again cold). A life time of eating on the hoof has meant that I got used to eating cold food. I am not yet ready to go onto 90% chocolate yet as I still need to loose another 60lbs or so. Good luck.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if you have three proper meals a day you should never be hungry enough between them to want to snack

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your right I am a chef or to be precise I was a Head Chef now retired, and yes being a chef played havoc with my appetite in my case lots of irregular mealtimes, and yes I had to taste lots of dishes.....so now I am retraining myself to eat 3 regular meals a day whilst fitting into a diabetic lifestyle, you never stop learning do you but so far this forum is invaluable

I had to retrain myself out of very bad eating habits.
I went for an extreme diet, lost a lot of weight, then found I could re-introduce 3 meals a day, I can still snack, and over eat, I still have to watch myself, but I found the routine I am now in to be of great benefit.
Olives are one of my snacks, and fruit, but you have to find fruit that suits you.

(Have a look at the Newcastle Diet, it's a great way to break old eating habits, and start new ones, it's not the one I did, I ate mostly salads, but on reflection it may have been easier simply to break with food entirely, as I suffered from the graze between meals)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Snacking is a habit for me so I've reduced snacks to a few nuts or one Babybel cheese or a small piece of good chocolate or a teaspoonful of peanut butter (Tesco 0.8g carbs per tspn if you believe the label), or coffee with double cream.
However in the evenings I am addicted to peanut butter'n'chocolate mug cake with yoghurt and cream. It seems very low carb. The addiction will last another week and then I'll be rid of it through aversion therapy (that surfeiting, the appetite may sicken and so die, or something).