So, I'm a plain old type 2 (not LADA) after all!

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, after weeks of trying to persuade various doctors to let me have a GAD test, and weeks more waiting for the result, finally got my answer in the post today. Definitely negative for both GAD and Islet cell antibodies, so highly unlikely I am anything other than T2. Glad at least insulin shouldn't be on the cards for a long time.
Still a bit of a mystery to me, no family history at all, no symptoms when diagnosed, only 43, a little overweight but not much, and BMI now 23.8.
So, I just carry on what I have been doing. Lowing carbing seems to be working for me. Last HbA1c was 43 (in Jan), next test booked in for end of April. Recent morning fasting levels have been at or below 5.0. Gradually re-introducing food and testing when I feel like it. Still get high spikes after meals involving too many carbs, although interesting to note that a portion of potato wedges has a much worse effect than a cadbury's Wispa!

C

catherinecherub

At least your Dr. agreed to the test, many people are denied them.
As for being a plain old Type2, that made me laugh.:D
There are plenty of Type2s with no family history or any of the stereotypical descriptions that the media are so fond of making. I think there will come a day when sub groups of Type 2 are found.

Well done for managing your control.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A positive GAD isn't the only indicator of Late onset T1. There are several antibody types, some quite rare, that aren't included in a GAD test. My GAD test was negative but my c-Peptide test showed very little insulin. I have never been overweight in my life and lost weight just prior to diagnosis of 'T2'. Other things can damage islet cells such as viruses, pancreatitis and so. Interestingly in the year prior to my diagnosis I volunteered as a drug tester for a drug company (having nothing else to do!). I was rejected as I had a high white cell count due to undiagnosed inflammation in the body. My blood sugar was normal. I also had very mild pain in the pancreatic area. Could this have been a virus? I'll never know but don't assume you aren't a Late onset T1. Did you have a c-peptide test?

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At least your Dr. agreed to the test, many people are denied them.
As for being a plain old Type2, that made me laugh.:D
There are plenty of Type2s with no family history or any of the stereotypical descriptions that the media are so fond of making. I think there will come a day when sub groups of Type 2 are found.

Well done for managing your control.
Hi Catherine,
Thanks for the kind words, glad I brightened someone's day!
Sue

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. A positive GAD isn't the only indicator of Late onset T1. There are several antibody types, some quite rare, that aren't included in a GAD test. My GAD test was negative but my c-Peptide test showed very little insulin. I have never been overweight in my life and lost weight just prior to diagnosis of 'T2'. Other things can damage islet cells such as viruses, pancreatitis and so. Interestingly in the year prior to my diagnosis I volunteered as a drug tester for a drug company (having nothing else to do!). I was rejected as I had a high white cell count due to undiagnosed inflammation in the body. My blood sugar was normal. I also had very mild pain in the pancreatic area. Could this have been a virus? I'll never know but don't assume you aren't a Late onset T1. Did you have a c-peptide test?
Hi Daibell,
Thanks for the response. I did ask for a c-peptide test too, but the consultant said this wasn't needed. I was just glad they had agreed to the Gad test, and also added ICA.
I must still be producing some fairly good insulin as my fasting levels are now pretty good, and have improved since I lost weight. I don't think I'll ever be described as a thin T2, just one who is now a healthy weight. As long as nothing changes (which I should pick up with a daily morning fasting test) I'll consider myself very lucky, and will just keep a careful eye on those post prandial spikes :)
Sue

desidiabulum

If you're no overweight you could have a form of MODY -- a GAD test would not have ruled that out. A c-peptide test might help on that one, but would still not be definitive.