Something we can do?!

desidiabulum

Sorry to sound like a broken record/cracked CD, but reading swimmer’s tales of woe and reports on posters and conversations in the clinic, and others giving up on dietician meetings, I end up screaming again that we must do something. I can’t get any sense out of people about what DCUK is prepared to do or endorse, so it really seems to be down to us. How about some Direct Action?
What I would suggest is that everyone who thinks that the daisy advice to newly diagnosed diabetics is right and important prints off an armful of copies, and the next time that we have an appointment at a clinic, take a batch and politely start passing them round the diabetic patients, inviting them to read it. This may of course annoy clinic staff and dieticians, they might even want to start forbidding people from doing any such thing, but even the act of banning such a thing means that they are having to acknowledge that there are other voices and other approaches out there, and that might be a first step towards at least initiating some sort of conversation/dialogue. There are clearly some clinics and HCPs who would agree with the contents anyway. Is it worth a try? Better this than either being forced to meekly sit through bad and insulting ‘advice’, or boycotting dieticians altogether...

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I can't see that working somehow - people tend to belive the men in white coats over some random stranger.

Why not ask the surgery if you can promote this forum, print off leaflets with the web address, and let those with and interest come on here and find out for themselves?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The impression I get from these so called experts, is that to many of them are brain washed, into what was taught to them many years ago.

However there are now new experts getting into the system, with greater knowledge and understanding of our requirements.

I also believe Anticarb is right,

You could also email your local MP with copies to whoever and wherever is necessary.

You have raised a very strong point of which I will do something regarding this issue.

roy.