Steroids & Type 1 pre-c section

jerseybelle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I'm 34+1 and have my provisional C-section booked in for 38+3. Consultant is planning to give me steroids post 36 weeks. I'd be really interested to hear of anyone else's experiences and advice about this!
Thank you!

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
I'm 34+1 and have my provisional C-section booked in for 38+3. Consultant is planning to give me steroids post 36 weeks. I'd be really interested to hear of anyone else's experiences and advice about this!
Thank you!

Hi I had them at 35w (dd was delivered then by emergency sec). They are quite painful but dd had to go into special care for her lungs and needed help breathing so I think it would have been a lot worse if I didn't have them. Not sure when I might have them with the twins (will be 28w this week) and scared stiff they are going to come really early.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey ,

I've also had the steroid injections , The day before my little man was born via emergency c section . He didn't need any help breathing and his lungs were fine , although he was admitted to nicu as he did have low bloods.
As above I agree they are not the nicest injections and they are painful but are also bearable . Best advice I was given by the midwife was to wiggle your toes really fast , as that way your leg isn't just still focusing on the injections it's also got something else to think about sounds weird but I think it helped me .
Also the injections did affect my bloods they did rise after a little while to . But I'm sure your team will explain all of this to you .

Good luck to both of you with the rest of your pregnancy and birth

x

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
The only time I had these was in labour with my twins at 33+4 and only about 4 hours after I asked wasn't it a good idea.... Don't think they did anything as they said my labour was too far along for them to have an effect. It was not suggested in anticipation. Thankfully both could breathe unaided when they came out which was unexpected at that gestation. I heard them say "very developed placenta, diabetic mother, that explains it" as I lay there. Some advantages occasionally....