SUCCESS! Glooko uploader - cannot make it work on Macbook, I have no access to Android or Windows devices

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I am UK based and just into my first month with a NHS provided pump, using an Omnipod DASH. So far so good, but very early days.

However, my pump clinic has sent me a link to the Glooko App in order that I can share my data with them.

I successfully created a Glooko login on my MacBook, then followed instructions to download the Glooko Uploader and to connect my PDM and manually export my data to Glooko. This worked. Then connected my Dexcom G7 (now automatically syncing wirelessly with Glooko) and my Nipro 4Sure SmartDuo meter to also add BG and ketones data.

BUT since this initial setup I simply cannot get my Macbook to load data from the PDM - when connected via cable the PDM recognises the Macbook, but the Glooko uploader now fails to find the PDM. No problems uploading with G7 or 4Sure meter data.

So raised this issue with Glooko Support. Several emails (and days later), they claimed that this was an Apple issue and that Glooko uploader should work with macOS 13, which my MacBook uses.

Today spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple Support who walked me through all the steps they thought might resolve this issue, including reinstalling the Glooko Uploader app, installing the Silicon Labs driver recommended by the installer, trying different ports and different cables, etc but the issue still remains. Apple advised that this a third party app issue and to return to the Glooko Support Team for further troubleshooting...My next step. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

In the meantime, has anyone else had this issue using a MacBook? If you installed new drivers, what were they called?

Apologies for a long post and rant over (for now).

{Edited for grammer}

Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Isn't it a pain when technology doesn't work @oldgreymare
No idea if it will help, but have you tried uninstalling the 4sure meter, because you were able to download your PDM initially before the meter and G7 were part of the equation?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Isn't it a pain when technology doesn't work @oldgreymare
No idea if it will help, but have you tried uninstalling the 4sure meter, because you were able to download your PDM initially before the meter and G7 were part of the equation?
Thanks @Hopeful34

The 4sure meter has to be physically connected via cable for the MacBook to see it so is undetectable otherwise, I haven't installed any Nipro apps on the MacBook. I did try disconnecting my G7, but that made no difference. I will ask my clinic to flag this issue directly with Insulet, as that may get better escalation. Let's see.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hopeful34

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Glooko Uploader for my t:slim via my iMac. Just connected it and it updated from version 2.15 to 3.17 After updating and running the later version on Sonoma 14.2.1 it let me sign in after I'd turned off my firewall and downloaded all my data. Takes long time though, 5+ mins to get sign in page then another 5+ mins after it reaches 90% to get to 100%. But it did work.

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I use Glooko Uploader for my t:slim via my iMac. Just connected it and it updated from version 2.15 to 3.17 After updating and running the later version on Sonoma 14.2.1 it let me sign in after I'd turned off my firewall and downloaded all my data. Takes long time though, 5+ mins to get sign in page then another 5+ mins after it reaches 90% to get to 100%. But it did work.
Thanks @Chas C

I'm using Glooko Uploader 3.17 (uninstalled and reinstalled several times..Laptop restarted, etc). The Uploader app launches and opens the login page almost immediately. Attaching my 4sure BG meter, the Uploader locates the meter in a few seconds and uploads the data fairly quickly. Trying with the PDM, this recognises the PC and creates the export file. But the Uploader App just shows a spinning wheel 'locating the device' message - longest I've left it is 20 min+

What's most frustrating is that the Uploader did work for the PDM, but only once. I'll keep chasing Glooko Support to give me better suggestions.

Most annoying is that I understand Insulet has already developed the necessary code to run its software directly on macOS and iOS devices, but has been very slow to roll out (excuse is regulatory approvals). :rolleyes:

{EDITED for grammer}

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Chas C

I'm using Glooko Uploader 3.17 (uninstalled and reinstalled several times..Laptop restarted, etc). The Uploader app launches and opens the login page almost immediately. Attaching my 4sure BG meter, the Uploader locates the meter in a few seconds and uploads the data fairly quickly. Trying with the PDM, this recognises the PC and creates the export file. But the Uploader App just shows a spinning wheel 'locating the device' message - longest I've left it is 20 min+

What's most frustrating is that the Uploader did work for the PDM, but only once. I'll keep chasing Glooko Support to give me better suggestions.

Most annoying is that I understand Insulet has already developed the necessary code to run its software directly on macOS and iOS devices, but has been very slow to roll out (excuse is regulatory approvals). :rolleyes:

{EDITED for grammer}
Sorry to hear that, my past experience with Glooko and its predecessor Diasend has been poor - since 2012 ish its worked for me properly 24/7 on a Microsoft PC, but Apple has worked for maybe 2 years overall - good for me is it works today.

Have you turned off the Apple Mac firewall ?

I saw you were diagnosed in Singapore, I lived there in late 50's to early 60's and then again in mid 60's.

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry to hear that, my past experience with Glooko and its predecessor Diasend has been poor - since 2012 ish its worked for me properly 24/7 on a Microsoft PC, but Apple has worked for maybe 2 years overall - good for me is it works today.

Have you turned off the Apple Mac firewall ?

I saw you were diagnosed in Singapore, I lived there in late 50's to early 60's and then again in mid 60's.
I didn't know Mac has an integral firewall (embarrassing admission for a long term Apple user!) - where do I check this?

Like most of SE Asia, Singapore has completely transformed - even faster since its independence in the early 60's - a few pockets of history left and I had some fun stories from an old friend who did his national service there in the 50's, mostly regarding horse racing there at the time. I'm heading back for a visit, the first since Covid in a couple months - expecting even more changes!

To keep (at least slightly) on topic, I was first diagnosed with diabetes in Singapore - cannot fault the quality of diagnosis and care and my endocrinologist was brilliant!

Reactions: Chas C

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't know Mac has an integral firewall (embarrassing admission for a long term Apple user!) - where do I check this?

Like most of SE Asia, Singapore has completely transformed - even faster since its independence in the early 60's - a few pockets of history left and I had some fun stories from an old friend who did his national service there in the 50's, mostly regarding horse racing there at the time. I'm heading back for a visit, the first since Covid in a couple months - expecting even more changes!

To keep (at least slightly) on topic, I was first diagnosed with diabetes in Singapore - cannot fault the quality of diagnosis and care and my endocrinologist was brilliant!
I have two firewalls the Apple one and a seperate one called Intego. For the Apple one go to System Settings, then Network, here you will see that you can disable the Firewall.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have two firewalls the Apple one and a seperate one called Intego. For the Apple one go to System Settings, then Network, here you will see that you can disable the Firewall.
Finally resolved! My Apple firewall wasn't an issue. Eventually told to escalate to Insulet, the Omnipod manufacturer. This morning I was sent an update for my Omnipod PDM - once this was installed the Glooko Uploader now works as expected and my Glooko reports are up to date to share with my diabetes clinic.

Thank you @Chas C and @Hopeful34 for your suggestions. Now back to trying to control my BG levels! :)