Dancin_jennie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather
Hi everyone

I'm just over 11 weeks. For the past 3 weeks or so my insulin requirements had dropped so I adjusted my basal and carb ratio accordingly. However the past couple of days I've had unexpected highs. It's frustrating me and I'm worried something bad is going on.

My bg was above 10 the whole day yesterday with correction after correction and nothing seemed to work. I had a night time hypo of 2.5 at 2am, corrected this, injected for the carbs I had after correction and have woke up with a reading of 10.8 I find this terribly frustrating.

I know pregnancy plays silly tricks on diabetes but wasn't expecting these highs until later on.

I'm also fI'll of a cold and wondered if that could have anything to do with high readings?

I really would appreciate any replies or advice for peace of mind. Thanks xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Dancin_jennie The cold could certainly be playing a part in your high sugars. Try to take it easy. I find when I have a cold, activity can push my BS up rather than down. Don't forget to have enough water to avoid dehydration.

Are you on a pump? Whatever method of insulin delivery you use, I'd also change my insulin vial/cartridge/pen just to rule out 'bad' insulin.

I had some highs in pregnancy - both very early and in the last few weeks. My consultant said they couldn't be avoided really but the important thing was to spot them and correct them. That's what you've been doing, so you've been doing the right thing. If it is your cold, then that will be why your corrections weren't as effective as usual. Test lots and lots (I sometimes test every hour when I'm ill), and phone your DSN for reassurance and advice if the highs persist or if you have any ketones.

Just to add that despite my occasional highs (up to 13) my baby was ok :) Try not to worry - it sounds like you're doing everything right.

Dancin_jennie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather
Thankyou for your quick reply. I have an appointment with the team tomorrow (diabetes, obstetrics, midwife) hopefully everything will be OK. I've made sure I'm taken the week off sick. Normally I just get through but it isn't just me I have to think about now it's my baby so I've made sure I'm off and I'm resting. Though it is driving me nuts.

I'm not on a pump no and my cartridge has just run out this morning for my pen so I'll see if it changes anything with a cartridge change. It's also very warm here the past few days so thought it could be a combination of having a cold and it being hot and me getting fatigued. Thanks again for your help :) x
Hi @Dancin_jennie The cold could certainly be playing a part in your high sugars. Try to take it easy. I find when I have a cold, activity can push my BS up rather than down. Don't forget to have enough water to avoid dehydration.

Are you on a pump? Whatever method of insulin delivery you use, I'd also change my insulin vial/cartridge/pen just to rule out 'bad' insulin.

I had some highs in pregnancy - both very early and in the last few weeks. My consultant said they couldn't be avoided really but the important thing was to spot them and correct them. That's what you've been doing, so you've been doing the right thing. If it is your cold, then that will be why your corrections weren't as effective as usual. Test lots and lots (I sometimes test every hour when I'm ill), and phone your DSN for reassurance and advice if the highs persist or if you have any ketones.

Just to add that despite my occasional highs (up to 13) my baby was ok :) Try not to worry - it sounds like you're doing everything right.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good move taking time off sick :) That means you don't have to think about anything else except baby and you and your blood sugar :)

Yes, I find heat can mess with my blood sugar too. Anything that happens when you're not pregnant can happen more strongly when you are, I found. Illness, heat, stress can all have an effect.

Good luck with your appointment. I'm sure you'll be fine :)