Sunbeds and pumps

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just been fitted with a pump, have a million and one questions, but I was wondering if you can use a sunbed safely with the pump?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know the answer to this but I would be interested to see what others say.

I would think you would have to remove it when using the sunbed as otherwise the insulin will get hot which may stop it working or reduce its effectiveness. You could reattach it afterwards.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I personally detach and put back on after as the heat is quite intense. I never been in more than 9 mins so never had any problems.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry this may seem a little dumb :/.. I know very little atm, so do you just detach the pump clip and pump itself and leave the other part in? Or detach the whole thing an go on a day you need to change it? (Sorry I have no idea what the little tubing and sticker thin is called yet lol)

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I personally would just detach the clip and put the pump somewhere away from the sunbed.

The cannula (plaster bit) can stay on and then you can reattach the clip to it again afterwards.

Perhaps just ask the sunbed people when you go, just to be safe.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes just take the pump bit off leave your set in where the plaster bit is it should just slide out with a squeeze of the sides or some twist. set it somewhere not near the light off the bed and you'll be fine. I doubt the sunbed people will have a clue.