symptoms

jezza67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to docs as was always shattered, took bloods and thats when the confusion starts.
Got a call from the doc to say my blood sugar was high so needed to do a fasting blood. Then had to go for face to face when i was told i had type 2 and was referred to the nurse.
She took bloods again with another appointment a week later, before i had that another doc calls to say i dont have diabeties. Appointment with nurse and she confirms that both doctors are correct and that they will recall me in a year to check bloods again.
Not even a week later she calls to say they will treat me as type2 and refered me to Desmonds(End of February),dont know if im coming or going and havent done anything yet as no idea what to do.
Now to my actual question, apart from feeling tired all time i have no other symptoms, is this normal.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to docs as was always shattered, took bloods and thats when the confusion starts.
Got a call from the doc to say my blood sugar was high so needed to do a fasting blood. Then had to go for face to face when i was told i had type 2 and was referred to the nurse.
She took bloods again with another appointment a week later, before i had that another doc calls to say i dont have diabeties. Appointment with nurse and she confirms that both doctors are correct and that they will recall me in a year to check bloods again.
Not even a week later she calls to say they will treat me as type2 and refered me to Desmonds(End of February),dont know if im coming or going and havent done anything yet as no idea what to do.
Now to my actual question, apart from feeling tired all time i have no other symptoms, is this normal.
Hi @jezza67 , welcome to the forum.

If anything, this sounds rather sloppy.
Do you have access to your actual results?

I'd want a hba1c taken in your case, assuming the test you had was only the level of blood glucose at the moment of testing.
The hba1c tells you something about your average blood glucose over the past 2 or 3 months, and it's that one that's used to diagnose diabetes.

• Agree
Reactions: filly and EllieM

jezza67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jezza67 , welcome to the forum.

If anything, this sounds rather sloppy.
Do you have access to your actual results?

I'd want a hba1c taken in your case, assuming the test you had was only the level of blood glucose at the moment of testing.
The hba1c tells you something about your average blood glucose over the past 2 or 3 months, and it's that one that's used to diagnose diabetes.
hba1c was border line

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hba1c was border line
What about asking for the actual number so you know what your starting place is.

Prediabetes is 42 to 48 mmol/mol, diabetes is anything above.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs

Some people get diagnosed with no symptoms at all, so it can be (sometimes).

I'd be more concerned about the reasons for the flip flop in whether you have diabetes or not, leaving you in limbo as to whether you have diabetes, prediabetes or nothing at all?

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - when you say "borderline" do you mean around 42 or around 48? Above 48 is where T2 diabetes will be diagnosed, symptoms or no symptoms. This does not mean that an A1c below 48 indicates you don't have diabetes. 48 was picked because instances of diabetic retinopathy are "rare" (ie they still occur) with A1cs less than 48. 48 was supposed to be a backstop, instead it's become (in the UK anyway) the only diagnostic tool most health professionals use.

Feeling tired all the time can be a diabetic symptom, but it can also be a symptom of many other things so far from conclusive. In your shoes I would check whether you've actually had a diagnosis, and I'd also get the exact BG figures from them.