T-Slim insulin pump

Martaps

Good morning everyone, hope you all feeling ok today. I just have a quick question to ask if anyone here is using T-Slim insulin pump with Auto soft 90 infusion set. How does it work the cannula for you? I am having issues every time I need to change it every 3 days as the needle bent and I end up wasting three cannula every time. Any suggestion please? I am starting to get a bit frustrated first because it doesn’t make me feel good that every 3 days I have to go through all this issues with the cannula, it’s painful sometimes and also I am worried that NHS won’t provide me with more infusion sets as they only give for 3 months and if I am using more they could make me go back to pen injections … please if anyone is having the same issue and have any tips it would really help. Thanks a lot I hope you all have a beautiful day.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Martaps I use the Tandem Slim but I use the steep tip (Trusteel) sets for exactly this reason, I was using Mio's on the Medtronic which would kink and fail and leave me high for ages as well as getting reactions to the teflon tubing, so left with red sore spots for days so stopped using them - I only use steel tip sets now and never have any fail, ask your DSN to add Trusteel sets to your prescription, once you explain why there won't be an issue.

Martaps

Hello @Martaps I use the Tandem Slim but I use the steep tip (Trusteel) sets for exactly this reason, I was using Mio's on the Medtronic which would kink and fail and leave me high for ages as well as getting reactions to the teflon tubing, so left with red sore spots for days so stopped using them - I only use steel tip sets now and never have any fail, ask your DSN to add Trusteel sets to your prescription, once you explain why there won't be an issue.

Hello! And thank you for your quick response :). The thing is they have already sent me trusteel infusion set to try them at home and I don’t feel confident when I have to put the cannula myself as I am so used to the insertion machine doing all the job and to be honest with you I am really scared to put the cannula manually I just can’t I don’t know .. that is why I was trying to see if there is anyone else who had the same issue and managed to carry on using the cannulas somehow

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Personally I found the Trusteel to be the best sets to use due to the 0% failure rate, I wouldn't go back to teflon sets again after my experience, I simply just squeeze the skin and insert, I now prefer to manually insert as I can see exactly where it goes in, if you've done injections before it's the same process to insert these, they really are bomb proof. You don't feel them once inserted but try and avoid belt areas or your waist band area as it can get sore then from the pressure being applied. Sorry i don't have any other solution for you based on what you've said here.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! And thank you for your quick response :). The thing is they have already sent me trusteel infusion set to try them at home and I don’t feel confident when I have to put the cannula myself as I am so used to the insertion machine doing all the job and to be honest with you I am really scared to put the cannula manually I just can’t I don’t know .. that is why I was trying to see if there is anyone else who had the same issue and managed to carry on using the cannulas somehow
I changed to TruSteel cannulas after getting advice from this site. Yes, inserting the cannula with your fingers takes some courage to start with, but I much prefer TruSteel. You could practise inserting one into an orange to to get used to holding onto the small plastic sides of the cannula, or ask a DSN to guide and observe you putting the first cannula in. The cannula hurts little when you push it in, but no more than teflon ones. I always secure the cannula with Hypafix tape, and the Hypafix stays in place for showers. Most of the time I insert the cannulas into my upper thighs. The size that suits me is 6mm cannula with 80cm tubing.