T1 in honeymoon vs. LADA. Is there a difference?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, my doctor diagnosed me as T1 in honeymoon. Meanwhile some people on this forum have suggested I may be LADA.

The amounts of insulin I inject are relatively low for the time being (my endocrinologist says "ridiculous") and very similar to what T1 folks in honeymoon report (e.g. NovoRapid with 1:20 carb ratio).

Here is some very brief background info:
I was diagnosed T1 by my doctor because my GAD antibodies were 60 times above the norm in my last test. Actually my HbA1c was 40 back in March 2015 and I was on 500g of Metformin daily. After switching to insulin, my HbA1c improved to 38.

So, is there some material difference between T1 in honeymoon and LADA? Or are these just different terms for more or less the same condition?

MarinaG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I understand that the honeymoon period lasts longer in those with Lada than the classic T1. My GAD was over 100 times the normal and I was on insulin within 6 weeks of diagnosis. 4 years later I am still in the honeymoon period. I use approx 20 units of insulin per day with a carb ratio of 1:20. My insulin requirement is slowly increasing but my honeymoon is continuing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the comment, Marina. I wish the honeymoon period would last for me for a few years too...

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the point is age at onset. Whatever you call it, it seems to proceed more slowly, and to be more delayable if you try to delay it, if it gets you as a mature grownup.

The descent seems to be gentler.

I was 55 at Dx. One year later, I seem to be stable at a TDD of 11, give or take a unit. I low carb and exercise.

M

mrspuddleduck

I'm described as LADA but technically I'm type 1. Sadly in my case, it's more politics and convenience than medical need. Consultant uses it because the local NHS computer can't cope with an oddity like me :banghead:. On the antiquated system they have you can only be a type 1 if onset was before 25 years of age, if older it automatically resets 'you' to type 2! But it can cope with LADA!!! I only found out when I had a hypo whilst at hospital one day and they didn't believe me cos the records said I was type 2, they just thought I must be drunk...:( (thankfully my friend was with me and sorted me out in front of the nurses). The joys of being diabetic! :D:D. Sue xxxx