"This does my head in".

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
jopar said:
I think you'll missing the point and a tad bit naive if I may say so!

Say what you want if you get to personal I'll just push the I object to you're getting personal button.

jopar said:
Making something simplistic doesn't necessary means it's better or easier for somebody..

I disagree. Making things simple to understand and in plain English is easier for everybody who is not an expert and just needs good advice. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Catherine agree's with me as well I think.

jopar said:
The DUK and NHS both give a simplistic out line of a dietary needs... They don't actually give information on carb amounts apart from the infamous words of Some can't get more simplistic than that!

British Nutritional Foundation.

Current advice is that we should get half our energy needs from carbohydrates, with at least one third of our daily intake of food being starchy carbohydrates. According to the British Nutrition Foundation, the average adult's daily diet meets this target with women getting 47.7 per cent of their daily energy from carbs (203g) and men 48.5 per cent (275g).

I rest my case...

jopar said:
Now in my minds eye, Some to me is around 20g to 30g's of carbs within a meal..
For somebody else Some could be 150g of carbs in a meal..

People can eat as many carbs as they like. makes no difference to me. What makes the difference is their meter reading 2 hours later. They can then take as much notice of that number as they want. That's always been my stated position so please try not to imply that its not.

jopar said:
Swedish have gone a step further and put a 'figure' to a carb content...

No they haven't you should read the doc the closest they come in the dietary option I recommend is a total 30% carbs / day. Think you're confusing them with the Americans who do put a recommended figure of 130g / day as of 2012.

Anyway why is your argument better than the most technically advanced country on the planet (America) and the one that probably has the most advanced theories on health care (Sweden). Sounds like you're the one who's being simplistic

jopar said:
''Self-management of diabetes is physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially
demanding. Non-engagement with self-management may make sense in the context of low
personal resources (e.g. health literacy, resilience) and overwhelming personal, family and
social circumstances''.

These factors will always impact on individual outcome, however good the advice is being given...

Good advice is being given eh.. What with 70% of diabetics with an HBA1c > 7.5% who are you trying to kid?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that people and confusing acknowledgement with acceptance.

Phoenix does not appear to me, as I read it, to accept the way life is for those disadvantaged in some way, and not able to take as much control of their treatment as they would or should do, as OK .He/she is acknowledging that that is the way it is.

But he/she (sorry, dont know which you are :oops: ) does not either advocate or encourage that situation. He/she is merely acknowledging the truth of the situation.

As one of those who cannot afford to test (yet) as much as I should, or eat all the right things, I acknowledge my situation and less than complete self management of Diabetes, but I also accept that it could be better and may be in the future.

So I dont understand the conflict here, unless people are thinking there is acceptance rather than acknowledgement by some posters :crazy:

Defren

xyzzy said:
phoenix said:
Even though people on forums are a fairly 'select' group it's worth remembering there will be people with unseen and possibly undisclosed barriers to self management. People don't reveal their all on the internet . People may have restricted incomes. They may have other illnesses, some may have dietary restrictions. They may have an eating disorder, mental illness.They may not know what a carb is nor yet be able to calculate them. We don't know
We are not one standard size.

I have said I accepted that Phoenix but what I won't except is that there is nothing that can't be done for these people. They may not be able to help themselves individually in which case its societies responsibility to help them. If they are for example T2D people who eat a rubbish diet and will not change no matter what then no amount of societies help is going to do much but if they are T2D people eating the 50% carb regime they are recommended to do by an increasingly out of touch state health system then the damage it cause in lives, blindness and lost limbs is on the hands of the people who recommend that diet and its supporters.

I have also never stated that other kinds of diet to the Swedish one I advocate will not work and the continual portrayal of me being an extremist pushing a single viewpoint is getting very tiresome and very see-through by everyone who reads these posts.

I just want that moderate carb diet accepted in this countries guidelines as an option and by this forum. It is not an option in the UK at the moment. I could argue the same thing back at you "We are not one standard size" so why do you always tell everyone continually that a low GI diet is best. Same problem Phoenix. The difference is I have never seen you actively promote the moderate carb one whereas here

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28107&hilit=Sarah&start=30

in the last two lines of my post I do recognise everyone is different and recommended your approach.

So come on Phoenix would you recommend the Swedish moderate carbohydrate restricted diet to a diabetic? Would you have recommended it to me as a newly diagnosed T2? I'll wait for your answer with interest. If you did come out with a "yes" then when as your "patient" I come back and say sorry Phoenix the 30% Swedish diet still spikes me too high as its equating to around 160g on a 2000 calorie a day diet would you then say "Try dropping to 130g / day" like the ADA in the States suggest. Waiting again Phoenix...

phoenix said:
In th UK in spite of what is promoted three quarters of the people aren't eating 5 portions of fruit and veg . Consumption is affected by income with "consumption associated with higher income, and vice versa" 32 per cent of men and 37 per cent of women in the best off households ate 5 or more but only 18 per cent of men and 19 per cent of women in the lowest quintile did so.”
People eat more saturated fat than recommended. They may eat nearly fifty percent of their diet as carbohydrate (48%) but 46% of those carbs are sugar!(29% of the carbs come in the form of added sugar .. technically from non milk extrinsic sugars ie not from milk or from within the plant cell. )

Again a plain baffle us with science approach.

All that you say may be true and whatever state sponsored diet is in place there will always be those who ignore it. Lets for sake of argument call that a 50 / 50 split (no idea what that split is) so in that scenario no matter what diet is recommended 50% are going be unaffected by any recommendation.

For the 50% left who are told if you get T2 then it **** well makes one hell of a difference if you find out the state encouraged diet kills you and that if you adopted another diet it would save your life. That happened to me Phoenix and a lot of other T2's on this forum and that's what you and the others wont ever admit.

On the 50% that wont change then you still don't give up. You fight for every **** last one of them even if they don't realise you're doing them a favour. You do it through interventionist policies by promoting good diets, making it financially attractive to swap to a good diet all those kind of things. You don't just throw your hands up and go "woe is me" I can't help them. That is self defeatist rubbish. In fact not fighting tooth and nail for every individual is tantamount to saying those people aren't worth saving, sounds like eugenics to me.

phoenix said:
The Swedish diet guidelines , rightly in my opinion , don't suggest the impostion of any particular diet

Good we agree on something as that's what I say here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28402 when I explain my position.

phoenix said:
Changing as little as possible is often successful in counseling about diets. In simple terms, the existing diet often become more like any of the diets that may be helpful in diabetes without the patient fully must abandon their previous eating habit.......

So as a T1.5 yourself and as say a newly diagnosed T1 you would not recommend changing your current diet quickly if they were on a rubbish diet? Are we T2's less important to you somehow? Tell us the truth about our condition and see how many of us WANT to change our diets pretty **** quickly! That argument is nothing less than the equivalent of don't give T2's test strips as it sends them mad. Didn't send you as LADA mad did it?

phoenix said:
One said' Many people' told the association that they were rarely called to see a doctor and never saw a nurse or dietitian.Several said they do not get any blood glucose meter, but only one value during the visit. (and indeed they have been fighting for strips for T2)

But yet they have implemented some changes Phoenix and continue to do so. Just because they aren't perfect doesn't make them more legitimate than the NHS view here does it.

I will restate what the doc says is a good diet for a diabetic. It has no numbers, no carbs, but specifically states it is different from a normal diabetic diet.

The diet consists of meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, vegetables, legumes and vegetable proteins and fats from olive oil and butter. The diet includes less sugar, bread, cereals, potatoes, root vegetables and rice than a traditional diabetes diet.

xyzzy said:
I have said I accepted that Phoenix but what I won't except is that there is nothing that can't be done for these people. They may not be able to help themselves individually in which case its societies responsibility to help them. If they are for example T2D people who eat a rubbish diet and will not change no matter what then no amount of societies help is going to do much but if they are T2D people eating the 50% carb regime they are recommended to do by an increasingly out of touch state health system then the damage it cause in lives, blindness and lost limbs is on the hands of the people who recommend that diet and its supporters.

Bravo, well said. As newbies what dietary advice are most of us given? Eat carbs with every meal, reduce portion size. Had I not found this forum, I would be a stone + heavier and also not a single bit better, in-fact I would have been eating myself quite unconsciously to severe complications and an early grave. I didn't know that. I was diagnosed on a Monday, I confess, I ate like a crazy person for the rest of that day, first thing Tuesday Morning I began to low carb. Why? It had been suggested I had diabetes, and that was what the blood tests were for, so I began to research, and I found this forum.

xyzzy said:
I have also never stated that other kinds of diet to the Swedish one I advocate will not work and the continual portrayal of me being an extremist pushing a single viewpoint is getting very tiresome and very see-through by everyone who reads these posts.

If you are an extremist pushing a healthy viewpoint, as you do, I am happy to be a recruit in your revolutionary army. Yes, I think what you and others "bang on about" is a revolution to those who advocate the NHS approach.

xyzzy said:
I just want that moderate carb diet accepted in this countries guidelines as an option and by this forum. It is not an option in the UK at the moment. I could argue the same thing back at you "We are not one standard size" so why do you always tell everyone continually that a low GI diet is best.

Again I agree with you (I hope the cheque is in the post :lol: ). Seriously, yes I agree, why are health professionals in the UK hiding behind guidelines that will kill us? Why is the low carb approach so taboo? People have said I should not tell my Doctor what I am doing. Poppycock! Those of us who do know better have a duty IMO to inform our health professionals in the hope others will 'eventually' benefit. How can they, if we hide our way from our HP?

I'm not getting into any more, when eugenics are mentioned, it's equal IMO to the whole nature nurture debate, in other words no easy answer in either direction.

xyzzy - Keep banging that drum!!

Defren

lucylocket61 said:
I think that people and confusing acknowledgement with acceptance.

Phoenix does not appear to me, as I read it, to accept the way life is for those disadvantaged in some way, and not able to take as much control of their treatment as they would or should do, as OK .He/she is acknowledging that that is the way it is.

But he/she (sorry, dont know which you are :oops: ) does not either advocate or encourage that situation. He/she is merely acknowledging the truth of the situation.

As one of those who cannot afford to test (yet) as much as I should, or eat all the right things, I acknowledge my situation and less than complete self management of Diabetes, but I also accept that it could be better and may be in the future.

So I dont understand the conflict here, unless people are thinking there is acceptance rather than acknowledgement by some posters :crazy:

Lucy, I think it's very fair to say, that you, like myself decided to take control of our own diabetes and manage it in as healthy way as we could. There are restrictions that a lot of us face, so we do the very best we can with what we have. Just one question. If you had not found this forum, what would your diet be now?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse said to have 1/3rd of my calories as carbs was the official line - but recommended I aim for 120g of carbs. Lots of veg, be careful with fruit, no bananas. And to have lots of lean protein.

Then I came here and read Daisy1's post and, over the days and weeks, have gradually absorbed and learned more. So this forum has been a lifeline. No question of that. But I needed the clear guidelines as a beginning firstly. I am still not ready to absorb a lot more info yet.

What would your diet be like?

Defren

lucylocket61 said:
My nurse said to have 1/3rd of my calories as carbs was the official line - but recommended I aim for 120g of carbs. Lots of veg, be careful with fruit, no bananas. And to have lots of lean protein.

Then I came here and read Daisy1's post and, over the days and weeks, have gradually absorbed and learned more. So this forum has been a lifeline. No question of that. But I needed the clear guidelines as a beginning firstly. I am still not ready to absorb a lot more info yet.

I agree, I am also not ready to take on board any of the science stuff just now. Getting my eating and emotions back in check is my priority at the moment.

lucylocket61 said:
What would your diet be like?

I was given no dietary advice at all, except to cut portion size. So quite high carbs, less fat and protein, not as much veg, but a lot more fruit. I had a weakness for things like crumpets, so yes, high carb. This forum and the advocates for low carbs made me realise I had to change, and fast.