Tresiba possibly out of basic insurance by 2023

Simha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using Tresiba for years.

Now the Dutch Health Minister has warned that, from 2023, users might have to pay up to € 250 per year themselves if they want to continue using Tresiba.

This on top of basic health insurance premium of € 130 (or more next year) per month and mandatory contribution of € 385 per year.

According to the Minister there is no scientific proof of Tresiba being the best treatment option and because the manufacturer and the minister can't agree on price. There is still patent on Tresiba, so no generic alternative.

For me and many others paying that amount is no viable option, so that could mean the end of Tresiba for me.

Has anybody here used Tresiba longterm and then changed to something else and if so, what is a stable insulin?

Tresiba is the only one lasting for up to 48 hours.

I used Levemir before, but wasn't happy with that as it wasn't stable. My DN agreed and advised Tresiba and I am happy with that.

I am pro-actively looking for alternatives and would like to know what works for you. Bearing in mind we are all different, but one needs a reference point.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Simha ,
Thankfully, those plans aren't complete yet so I'm not worrying too much right now (I'm Dutch and on Tresiba as well, and like you, I definitely don't want another long acting, having tried a few over the years).

But to answer your question, Toujeo is another very long acting insulin, and it might be that would suit you as well. I haven't tried it, so not speaking from experience here.

Did you use the Levemir once a day or twice a day?
Most people find they need to inject twice, about 12 hours apart because it doesn't last the full 24 hours.
If it's used once a day it can cause very unstable BG.

Let's keep our fingers crossed we can simply keep our preferred insulin!

Reactions: Simha

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Toujeo prior to Tresiba. Unfortunately I didn’t rate it. Wasn’t what I would call a level insulin. Very erratic.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Simha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Simha ,
Thankfully, those plans aren't complete yet so I'm not worrying too much right now (I'm Dutch and on Tresiba as well, and like you, I definitely don't want another long acting, having tried a few over the years).

But to answer your question, Toujeo is another very long acting insulin, and it might be that would suit you as well. I haven't tried it, so not speaking from experience here.

Did you use the Levemir once a day or twice a day?
Most people find they need to inject twice, about 12 hours apart because it doesn't last the full 24 hours.
If it's used once a day it can cause very unstable BG.

Let's keep our fingers crossed we can simply keep our preferred insulin!
I was put on Levemir, when first had to switch to insulin. Once a day. And, as I know now, on much too high a dosis. I was very unstable to the point where the DN wanted me to be treated by and endo and DN in the hospital. At my first appointment, now 7 years ago, I was put on Tresiba and it has served me well.

I read about Toujeo, but I rather stay on Tresiba. I am stable now and would like to remain that way.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77