Type 1 diabetes question starting preschool

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm new here I'm just looking for any mams that have had there toddler start playschool as a diabetic is it as tough as I think it's going to be. My little one starts next week and I'm so worried as iv never been away from her since she was diagnosed a year ago and I'm dreading it to be honest I'm so worried about it all and how her levels will be and all the rest that

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @momma to a type1 warrior and welcome to the forums. Not sure how many parents of very yoing T1s we have active on the forums at the moment,as they tend to be very busy.

You could have a read round the parents section of the forum

(I've moved your thread here to hopefully make it more visible to parents of T1s)

I was diagnosed aged 8 in the pre glucometer area so I don't have relevant personal experience, but I would urge you to talk to her carers about your fears and try not to panic.

Does she have a pump and/or libre/dexcom? How old is she now ?

Good luck and once more welcome.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my little girl was diagnosed at the end of June, aged 3 and we got her back to nursery. I was dreading it as you are, but it went a lot smoother than I was imaging it would! For the first week I just took her in at meal times and went over what to do (diabetes nurse had already done their training). For the 2nd week she was in all day and I went to oversee injections for the first few days but by the end of that week they were happy. Its amazing at 3 how much they've learnt about diabetes already and my daughter was telling the staff when they didn't do something quite right! And the staff always called me if they weren't quite sure. My daughter turned 4 in July so we now have to go through this all again with school and I feeling anxious as it's a completely new environment but fingers crossed! Xx

• Winner
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77