Type 1 Sports Weekend

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just heard through the grapevine that registration for this year's Animas Sports Weekend opens on 14th April.
Although I've not been, I've heard plenty of great feedback about this weekend - usually run by Dr Ian Gallen (who you might have heard of through Runsweet fame)
Perhaps I'll get into trouble for sharing this here:(, but frustratingly this useful information often gets shared through other media such as twitter etc. and I appreciate not everybody follows that, and it would be a shame to miss out because of it.

The great thing about this weekend is that you get to learn how your body behaves when you exercise - what to expect from your blood glucose levels, and how best to manage the irregularities that can come into play when you exercise.
Places are open to anyone with Type 1 diabetes - you can be injecting insulin or be using any brand of pump at all.

“The Animas Sports Weekend is Friday 6th, Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th June 2014 at Loughborough University'.

Registration will open next Monday, 14th April 2014. If you are interested in attending, please email [email protected] for more details and to apply for a place.

Delegate criteria:
· There are 50 places available and will be allocated to newcomers on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.
· Delegates must be over 18, live with Type 1 diabetes and have an interest in sport (varying abilities welcome)
· Delegates can be using Animas, a competitor pump or injections. Places are £150 each.
· Those who have previously attended will be invited to join us on the Saturday evening for dinner. Places are £35 each.”

Fingers crossed for those of you who want to go!:)

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone going to Animas Sports Weekend 6th / 7th / 8th June 2014?

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Awesome Mrs Vines!!
My hubby went and said it was Brilliant! We will have to get you involved with TeamBG - we need great advocates like you to help support others who struggle with motivation and blood control.
Way to go!:happy:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oh thats nice, us poor old type 2 degenerates don't get to come and play

;)

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awesome Mrs Vines!!
My hubby went and said it was Brilliant! We will have to get you involved with TeamBG - we need great advocates like you to help support others who struggle with motivation and blood control.
Way to go!:happy:

I'd love that - I started this fitness kick in March after losing 4 stone but realising I was a flabby, unfit skinny minnie. Then I got the animas vibe pump in April. Made such a big difference to being able to do activities.
Obviously you can on MDI and I was before the pump but this takes it to a better level.
My personal trainer I see once a week says I am not fit but I am definitely fitter! So I can't wait for the weekend - bit scared because I will be near or the 'bottom of the class' fitness wise but I feel so much better.
OMG I'm even more flexible and not as clumsy. I feel that this is something that I must continue with.
Triathlon, iron man probably not - but just feeling fitter and the mental well being is brilliant.

The benefits of insulin sensitivity increasing is also great - a workout means a 'free low carb lunch' to me and knocks about 6 units of insulin off my daily total.
Looking forward to the advice and the activities ( seriously I'll be at the back) but will be able to use the experience to keep progressing whilst sorting blood sugars safely.

Should have done this years ago!
Mrs Vimes xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
can't make it this year as I'm away at a race on the 1st, then travelling to Italy Monday 9th, is it an annual thing?

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
can't make it this year as I'm away at a race on the 1st, then travelling to Italy Monday 9th, is it an annual thing?

It has been, though quite whether they will keep running it in the future - hard to say. Budgets are pretty tight. Valuable opportunity for learning for those who go though.:)

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Bebo,
Arrived at Loughborough no problems. Hotel is lovely, the organisers are lovely. Met some new nice people.
First talk by Dr Ian Gallen very interesting on how different types of exercise affects your blood sugars. Also given strategies on how to deal with the changes using both reduction/increase in insulin and the order to do types of activities.
Having a great time. In the purple team for the activities tomorrow. Hope I survive. Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App