Update on Ozempic Shortages

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today the CEO of Ozempic and Wegovy was interviewed by CNN. He admitted that the shortages due to current demand levels will not be met by supplies for many years to come. They have currently stopped producing the starter doses, and this will remain in place until all current users have been titrated up to maximum dose, i.e. maximising profit for the company.

He confirmed that users will need to take the drug for life since weight loss is reversed as soon as the drug is stopped because obesity is built in to all people naturally and cannot be reversed. He also says there are no safety issues with these drugs, and that adverse events are due to other illnesses and pre-existing conditions but the drug is not responsible.

I have to say I am not convinced by his replies.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was watching a News discussion program on TV last night (possinbly Newsnight) and the topic turned to the shortage of weight loss jabs. It was discussed that the price being charged for this treatment has made it a honeypot for black marketeers and criminals. I found out yesterday that a local pharmacy had been broken into and the contents of the strong box whee they keep the controled drugs like heroin, morphine etc was cleared out.

So I think we will see a GLP-1 fuelled spate of such incidents to supply an illegal trade. It may become easier to get your supply from the local drug lord or pusher. Or from the geezer at the back of the pub with the long overcoat. just a thought. It may be the Fentanyl of the future.

The discussion did not offer evidence for this, so it is conjecture, but plausible. It may be that the drug conmpanies are not the only ones trying to make a fortune from these meds, and it would be yet another non medical drain on supplies.

Remember that like heroin, the use of this drug may be for the rest of your life according to the CEO of Eli Lilley who stated this in a recent intervew. One known but not advertised side effect of these meds is the very quick and extra large weight gain when you stop taking the med. Yo Yo dieting in a pen.

Edit to add: Just noted a typo above where it should read 'companies', but I like what I wrote, so have decided to let it go.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
He admitted that the shortages due to current demand levels will not be met by supplies for many years to come. They have currently stopped producing the starter doses, and this will remain in place until all current users have been titrated up to maximum dose, i.e. maximising profit for the company.
I wonder what that means for T2s currently suffering shortages of GLP-1s?

Thanks for sharing a fascinating, of somewhat scary. article.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm, I’m starting to see a possible link between this & the reported shortage of Tresiba in disposable pens..?

They may have focussed the production on this…??

Edit to add. I meant the devises to inject. Not the actual contents.

• Creative
Reactions: Oldvatr

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmm, I’m starting to see a possible link between this & the reported shortage of Tresiba in disposable pens..?

They may have focussed the production on this…??

Edit to add. I meant the devises to inject. Not the actual contents.
If this is the case it would be good if incretin mimetics were sold in cartridges for use in reusable pens like insulin, both now if that’s the cause of the shortages and in the future to save wastage.

• Agree
  • Creative
Reactions: Oldvatr and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If this is the case it would be good if incretin mimetics were sold in cartridges for use in reusable pens like insulin, both now if that’s the cause of the shortages and in the future to save wastage.
I’ve worked in engineering production. Would love to take a look inside the plant.

Nosing round the net regarding a wegovy pen, they don’t seem to look that dissimilar apart from the compartment for the drug?

You_Doodle_2023-09-24T11_39_30Z.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Rachox

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK. I take it back. The dosing principle with wegovy is not like the dosing of insulin.?
There seems to be “set strengths?” With 4 pre-filled doses per pen??

(Found it on a Superdrug site, which I won’t link here.)

Kiwigal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It is ridiculous esp ozempic shortages have been going too long since April 2022 in Australia.

While Ozempic is keeping my diabetes controlled at the moment as it is only med I take for diabetes.

Unfortunately once I unable to get Ozempic, need to go on alternative medicine

So discussed alternative med at Diabetes clinic... is to go on insulin.

They said I have to wait until my glucose rise up above 10 mmol or Hba1c 7.0% then start on insulin injections. As other Type 2 oral medications isn't ideal due to allergy reactions and side effects.

They mention I will start once a day long acting insulin first. Then way later to introduce the fast acting insulin.

Unless the on-going Long Covid could kick up the Type 1 Diabetes predisposed genes - which I have got high positive for Type 1 Diabetes predisposed genes. It could be very slow process to end up LADA eventually.