Vitamins and Pre-pregnancy supplements??!!!!

Little My

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I've been Type 1 for 19 months now, aged 33 and I am trying for my first baby. I have appt with a diabetes midwife in a few weeks time and my doctor has prescribed 5mg of Folic acid. I have read varied advice regarding vitamins and pregnacare and wondered if anyone could offer some advice or has experience of trying for a baby with Type 1?! I read that pregnacare can make people vomit and wondered if I would be better just taking a multivitamin or vitamin D in addition to the folic acid.
ANY ADVICE VERY WELCOME AS I AM VERY SCARED AND WORRIED ABOUT WHAT MIGHT BE AHEAD OF ME :(

C

catherinecherub

This is what the NHS has to say about foods to avoid,

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#close

This one tells you about Vitamins.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregna...mins-minerals-supplements-pregnant.aspx#close

It's best to get vitamins and minerals from the food you eat, but when you are pregnant you will need to take some supplements as well, to make sure you get everything you need. It's recommended that you take:

• 10 micrograms of vitamin D each day throughout your pregnancy - you should also carry on taking this after your baby is born if you breastfeed
  • 400 micrograms of folic acid each day – you should take this from before you are pregnant until you are 12 weeks pregnant
I am sure other Type1 mums will answer your queries.

Reactions: 3 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Hi there. I take 5mg Folic Acid plus the Pregnacare - preconception supplement and I have been fine with it but I have also heard that pregnacare disagrees with some people. If it does you, then there are other supplements out there, I know Seven Seas does one and I am sure there will be plenty of advice offered on this forum. Don't be scared, as a Type 1 you will receive priority care from your diabetic ante-natal team. Good luck! (I have been ttc for 3 months now, no luck so far but hoping soon!)

Reactions: 2 people

Little My

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there. I take 5mg Folic Acid plus the Pregnacare - preconception supplement and I have been fine with it but I have also heard that pregnacare disagrees with some people. If it does you, then there are other supplements out there, I know Seven Seas does one and I am sure there will be plenty of advice offered on this forum. Don't be scared, as a Type 1 you will receive priority care from your diabetic ante-natal team. Good luck! (I have been ttc for 3 months now, no luck so far but hoping soon!)

Thanks so much for your reply, I think I will just try the pregnacare too.Good luck with the baby mission, fingers crossed for you. :)

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I took pregnacare and folic acid pre conception and during my pregnancy. Am now taking the pregnacare breastfeeding supplements. Good luck with trying, use this chat forum as much as you need, I found it an amazing resource both before and during pregnancy and the other girls on it are really supportive. X

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 5mg and folic acid and vitamin d...and ask for a blood test to check your vitamin d

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I took the 5mg of folic acid that my consultant prescribed, Vitamin D capsules from Pharma Nord, CoQ10 from Healthspan, Omega 3 from Healthspan, and also their preconception multivitamin.

My consultant was happy with all of those, and I really felt the difference too ( I felt better and more energetic).

Try not to worry too much. I know that's easy to say, but worry can be counter-productive. Relaxation is important too.

Best of luck : )

Little My

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much for all the advice I'm ordering vitamins online as we speak :)