Websites/resources for recommended meals/diet plans for diabetic retinopathy.

cmx9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe I have diabetic retinopathy. I had my eyes checked the other day and the doctor also believes this to be the case. I'm at a point where I'm afraid to eat anything because I know it will damage my eyesight for the remainder of the day. Any type of carb is dangerous and I have to avoid all breads and sugars or else I end up with vision loss in my right eye. I'm starving myself eating chicken salads and yogurt every meal. Can anyone help me out?

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm starving myself eating chicken salads and yogurt every meal. Can anyone help me out
A low carb way of eating doesnt equal starvation.
It consists of plenty of protein in the form of meat, fish, dairy and eggs, the fibre and nutrients that come from veg (mainly green that grow above the ground ie no potatoes or root veg or sweetcorn) and the satisfaction that eating healthy fats in the natural forms, ie within the meat and fish and dairy or adding olive oil or mayonnaise or cream to food gives.
Throw in a few nuts and berries and it's filling, sustainable and tasty.
You can eat as much as you like until full and then stop and don't eat again until next filling meal

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak

mouseee

You can also eat things like cheese and make or buy low carb crackers. I have low carb bread from Heylo and a cheese toastie with it is lovely. Also, make sure your yogurt is full fat, low fat often has stuff added and isn't as filling.