whats happening--advice needed

alison11

Can someone explain to me why my recording has gone up to 6.8 this morning? Here's my story ---recently following a random glucose from the Docs my sugar was found to be 11.3 and he wanted another test before deciding to treat me. So I joined slimming world,cut out the excessive sweets,pop and alcholol and over 3 weeks have lost 9IIBs. Ive also started excercise and generally feel better even though I didn't feel ill before.Last night I went to a Halloween party and was presented with a lovely buffet.I drank a quarter glass of rose wine and drank tonic water rest of the night as I was driving.I ate salad and bolognase sauce and a couple of pieces of pineapple on sticks --that was definately it as I am trying to loose weight.2pm I drove home.Blood sugar was 5.3 befor I got into bed.6 hours sleep then this morning blood sugar 6.8 -why so high.I should say I have not had a diagnosis if diabetes yet but got so frightened that I bought my own monitor so I could understand what is happening to me.---so help please its ver been so high :think:

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

If it helps, I can give you some of my recent experiences: I'm newly diagnosed T2, still trying very hard to get my head around all this, and have been checking my blood sugar for about a month. My early morning (waking) readings are usually quite high (7 - 9) but I understand this is because the liver tends to dump sugar into the bloodstream to help us when we first wake up. I'm now dieting, exercising and, since a week ago, taking Metfomin, so I'm hoping to get tall that down in time.

I don't have severe symptoms - though that's no reason not to take it all seriously - but, for what it's worth, my highest reading was 14 (an hour after a bowl of rice crispies - I won't do that again) and the lowest 3.9, after a brisk 30 mins walk.

I'm sure others will give more advice

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Google "dawn phenomenon" or "liver dump". It's perfectly natural. Your liver releases glucose into your body ready for your anticipated need upon waking. Try not to worry too much.
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
No, it happens to everyone. If you're really concerned about diabetes, see your doc. There's tests they can do. If you are "pre-diabetic", you can possibly stop or at least slow onset. Good luck.

alison11

Ok Mo thanks for making me take a deep breath-your right I must not panic - Im due to see the Doc in a month and Im testing each morning first thing as he has asked me to do.I thought the normal was from 4-6 as the Doc said but have just read its 4-7 so perhaps as a one off 6.8 is not bad just a halloween party???

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Ignore one off readings. Look for patterns/trends. Too many variables to act on 1 reading. Depends what you ate, GI factor, exercise, when you tested, stress and countless others. Non diabetics get high readings after food but their own insulin naturally lowers it automatically. When you test, try to vary the times. First thing in morning, before lunch, before bed etc. Try not to become obsessive though. Good luck with your doc next month.
Mo

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re:

mo1905 said:
Ignore one off readings. *Look for patterns/trends*. Too many variables to act on 1 reading. Depends what you ate, GI factor, exercise, when you tested, stress and countless others. Non diabetics get high readings after food but their own insulin naturally lowers it automatically. When you test, try to vary the times. First thing in morning, before lunch, before bed etc. *Try not to become obsessive though*. Good luck with your doc next month.
Mo

I've highlighted (*....*)those of Mo's points that apply to me ....... My readings had started to vary quite wildly before I modified my lifestyle and started medication and I'm still learning how to bring it all under better control.

Reading through the archived threads on this site and searching for the specific issues/topics that I was puzzled about has helped me a lot over the past few weeks.

Regards,

Tom.

fireblade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My understanding of metformin it suppress the release of glucose from the liver..I also have this problem having gone from 16.7 llbs to 14.8llbs..glucose 14 now 6 to 8 mmol..gets me down a bit cos it was averaging 5 to 6 mmol. .

fireblade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My understanding of metformin it suppress the release of glucose from the liver..I also have this problem having gone from 16.7 llbs to 14.8llbs..glucose 14 now 6 to 8 mmol..gets me down a bit cos it was averaging 5 to 6 mmol. .