When did your little one become hypo aware?

nancy57

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

My son Roshan, 4, was diagnosed with T1 on the 31st Jan and fingers crossed, we have finally settled into life with diabetes. However, my son is leaving his playgroup in July to start Reception at a new school.

Care at playgroup has been exemplary, and I know they have been keeping a really close eye on my son and testing him if they notice any behavioural changes. The staff there had the benefit of knowing Roshan's before he became T1, and were able to tell if Roshan's wasn't feeling himself. He was also confident and happy in their care.

My worry is, that up until now, neither Roshan or ourselves have noticed any symptoms prior to a hypo. They often occur without any prior warning and are found during routine BG tests. How can I get staff at Roshan's new school to be hypo aware, when I'm not sure what to tell them to look for. Also I know as staff won't know Roshan well and visa versa, staff won't know if he is behaving differently to normal and he may not feel comfortable approaching them if unwell.

I guess with time, these issues will iron themselves out. I am just wondering when children become hypo aware and if there is anything I can do to speed up the process.

Thanks

Nx