Type 1 Where to buy alpha lipoic acid?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The studies that have been done indicate the use of 600-800mg per day of R-ALA as this is the form the body can use, but equally, most of them used intravenous infusion rather than oral administration, so it's unclear as to how much you'd need orally.

Thanks @tim2000s Too much to hope there was a way to economise sadly.

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I buy r-ala 80%, any brand. I hope that helps. Can be expensive but reduces my insulin need by a third.

Which brand would you recommend? I've been using Natures Best ala but would like to try r-ala. Do you find the r-ala more effective?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Which brand would you recommend? I've been using Natures Best ala but would like to try r-ala. Do you find the r-ala more effective?
I've only ever used the r-ala 80% from America via amazon uk.
It has given me confidence in reducing my injected insulin levels but remember I'm type2 with severe insulin resistance. It did not help with weight loss due to how much insulin I was injecting. Metformin and keeping my bgs low with insulin has reduced my weight.

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks ickihun, I will try to find on Amazon. What is the name of the supplier?
Take your point that my circumstances may be different though.
There's a lot of debate as to whether it's worth paying the extra for r- ala rather than ala. Did you try ala?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks ickihun, I will try to find on Amazon. What is the name of the supplier?
Take your point that my circumstances may be different though.
There's a lot of debate as to whether it's worth paying the extra for r- ala rather than ala. Did you try ala?
No. Never tried ala only. There are only 2 types r and s. S is not as useful but standard ala has both r and s in it.
I was advised to try and use a high quality r type. Hence 80% r-ala I choose.
Fellow low income families may want to save by using just ala as your still getting the r-ala in it but not as pure.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try iherb.com shipped from the US but very good prices. The stabilised r-ala is available in lower doses than the mix variety in view of its greater absorption properties.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jarrow Alpha Lipoic Sustain with Biotin
I am poised to buy R ALA + BIOTIN from Jarrow. Could you tell me if you are still buying from them, and also if the product seems to be helping you?