Which monitor?

KBrennan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently got diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I’m slim and fit. I do a lot of exercise so I’m thinking low-carb diet might be hard for me. I’m thinking of getting a continuous blood glucose monitor but don’t want to spend too much money. Any suggestions? Thanks.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately, you cannot continuously fund a CGM without spending a lot of money - the cheapest options are Libre 2 and Dexcom ONE. Both work out at around £100 a month.
Do you need a CGM all the time or would you benefit from occasional use to learn what impact foods and activities (our BG is affected by more than just food) have on your BG? Will the cheaper option of a finger prick meter provide the data you need?
Whichever you decide, bear in mind that there are known and frequently mentoined (at least on this forum) limitations of CGMs.

KBrennan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the response. Yes I have a finger prick monitor as I had gestational diabetes in the past. When are the best times to check? Thanks again.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully, someone with type 2 will jump in soon.
But, from reading this forum, the advice to find out what the impact food is on BG is to test just before eating and 2 hours afterwards. If your BG has risen by more than 2mmol/l in those 2 hours, your body is struggling to manage the carbs in the meal.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m T2 and don’t use and have never used a CGM. They are very expensive to fund yourself. Yes they are a nice thing to have but not necessary. you say you have a meter so that’s great :)

The best way to use your meter to its full advantage is test right before first bite and then 2 hrs after first bite, this will give you the best information of how your body dealt with that meal, so you are looking for a rise of no more than 2. If it’s less than 2 or almost back to where you started then your meal was fine. If it’s a little bit more than 2 than your carbs probably need reduced a little bit in that meal, if it’s a good bit more then you need to reduce the carbs a lot or even don’t have them.

Many T2s here manage their diabetes with a low carb or keto lifestyle, so they don’t eat any grains, bread, flour, pasta, rice, baked goods, potatoes and below ground veg except celeriac and swede. As you are pre diabetic you may not have to cut these things out altogether just reducing them may be enough, that’s what your meter will tell you :)

You probably won’t get strips from your GP either for your meter so most of us T2 and pre diabetes have to fund those ourselves and strips can vary in price so I’m going to tag one of our lovely forum members @Rachox who has some great information on various meters and where to buy etc.

Have a good read round the forum, take your time to learn and any questions forum members are a friendly bunch with loads of experience and info so ask away :)

Spenccer

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently got diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I’m slim and fit. I do a lot of exercise so I’m thinking low-carb diet might be hard for me. I’m thinking of getting a continuous blood glucose monitor but don’t want to spend too much money. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Not a direct answer to the Monitor question I know but.......

I've recently been given the same news. I do between 5 and 12 hours training on the bike each week plus around 2 hours running and the odd strength session.

I'm 57, 5ft6 and was 78Kg at the beginning of 2023, FTP around 220w

Previous to being told about my pre-diabetes I was using gels for short intense efforts as well as energy bars and gels for longer rides. I tried one of the expensive monitors for a few weeks (can't remember which one), just long enough to make me realise that the feelings I was getting half way through an intense training session were nothing to do with perceived low sugar levels, they were just me getting tired,

Armed with that knowledge I gradually cut carbs down a lot. It's absolutely possible to bring your carb intake right down and continue exercising hard, just do it gradually. I started cutting sugar out of tea and coffee then, during a rest week switched to fruit for most of my other sugar and gradually weaned myself off of that too. Cut out the fruit smoothies as well.

The only time I have a big carby breakfast now is before a ride thats going to be over 2.5 hours. I do most of my easy runs fasted and the occasional short (sub 60 minute) ride, apart from a cup of tea and a glass of Soy Milk (to make sure I don't generate a protein deficit). Dinner carbs are wholemeal rice mostly and sometimes none at all (beans/salad)

For longer rides with intense efforts I make my own oat-bars adding dried fruit, bananas and honey which I control to keep the sweetness as low as I can. If I'm feeling tired before a short (sub 60 minute) HIIT session I'll grab an apple or something

For low-intensity efforts (such as touring with my Wife or z1/2 rides) I stick to protein based foods as much as possible (poached eggs at the cafe for example)

Snacks during the day or mostly humus/celery etc, lunch is a salad with Turkey or the odd bit of cheese. Add a bit of Tobasco or Worcestershire sauce for extra taste

I've also tried to incorporate a bit of 16/8 fasting every now and then.

Wether it's made the difference to my blood glucose levels or not yet I don't know (waiting for a re-test) but I have without a doubt drastically reduced the amount of carbs I take in

My FTP hasn't changed at all but I've dropped over 10Kg in 9 months and feel stronger than I have in years.

Good luck!

KBrennan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m T2 and don’t use and have never used a CGM. They are very expensive to fund yourself. Yes they are a nice thing to have but not necessary. you say you have a meter so that’s great :)

The best way to use your meter to its full advantage is test right before first bite and then 2 hrs after first bite, this will give you the best information of how your body dealt with that meal, so you are looking for a rise of no more than 2. If it’s less than 2 or almost back to where you started then your meal was fine. If it’s a little bit more than 2 than your carbs probably need reduced a little bit in that meal, if it’s a good bit more then you need to reduce the carbs a lot or even don’t have them.

Many T2s here manage their diabetes with a low carb or keto lifestyle, so they don’t eat any grains, bread, flour, pasta, rice, baked goods, potatoes and below ground veg except celeriac and swede. As you are pre diabetic you may not have to cut these things out altogether just reducing them may be enough, that’s what your meter will tell you :)

You probably won’t get strips from your GP either for your meter so most of us T2 and pre diabetes have to fund those ourselves and strips can vary in price so I’m going to tag one of our lovely forum members @Rachox who has some great information on various meters and where to buy etc.

Have a good read round the forum, take your time to learn and any questions forum members are a friendly bunch with loads of experience and info so ask away :)
Thanks very helpful

Reactions: lovinglife

KBrennan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a direct answer to the Monitor question I know but.......

I've recently been given the same news. I do between 5 and 12 hours training on the bike each week plus around 2 hours running and the odd strength session.

I'm 57, 5ft6 and was 78Kg at the beginning of 2023, FTP around 220w

Previous to being told about my pre-diabetes I was using gels for short intense efforts as well as energy bars and gels for longer rides. I tried one of the expensive monitors for a few weeks (can't remember which one), just long enough to make me realise that the feelings I was getting half way through an intense training session were nothing to do with perceived low sugar levels, they were just me getting tired,

Armed with that knowledge I gradually cut carbs down a lot. It's absolutely possible to bring your carb intake right down and continue exercising hard, just do it gradually. I started cutting sugar out of tea and coffee then, during a rest week switched to fruit for most of my other sugar and gradually weaned myself off of that too. Cut out the fruit smoothies as well.

The only time I have a big carby breakfast now is before a ride thats going to be over 2.5 hours. I do most of my easy runs fasted and the occasional short (sub 60 minute) ride, apart from a cup of tea and a glass of Soy Milk (to make sure I don't generate a protein deficit). Dinner carbs are wholemeal rice mostly and sometimes none at all (beans/salad)

For longer rides with intense efforts I make my own oat-bars adding dried fruit, bananas and honey which I control to keep the sweetness as low as I can. If I'm feeling tired before a short (sub 60 minute) HIIT session I'll grab an apple or something

For low-intensity efforts (such as touring with my Wife or z1/2 rides) I stick to protein based foods as much as possible (poached eggs at the cafe for example)

Snacks during the day or mostly humus/celery etc, lunch is a salad with Turkey or the odd bit of cheese. Add a bit of Tobasco or Worcestershire sauce for extra taste

I've also tried to incorporate a bit of 16/8 fasting every now and then.

Wether it's made the difference to my blood glucose levels or not yet I don't know (waiting for a re-test) but I have without a doubt drastically reduced the amount of carbs I take in

My FTP hasn't changed at all but I've dropped over 10Kg in 9 months and feel stronger than I have in years.

Good luck!
Thanks for this

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @KBrennan , thanks for the tag @lovinglife , here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + which is quite popular:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

The strips are to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I'm wondering why you feel that a Low Carb way of eating (it's not a calorie restricted diet) might be hard for you?
- Surely the other methods to gain T2 diabetes control/remission such as bariatric surgery or a 12-week 800 calorie per day would be practically impossible for you.
Here's a link to what got this slim T2 Diabetic into remission: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.

away :)
Can I confirm it’s 2 hours after 1st bite and not 2 hours after last bite? I am seeing conflicting advice in different forums and threads.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I confirm it’s 2 hours after 1st bite and not 2 hours after last bite? I am seeing conflicting advice in different forums and threads.
We advise 2 hours after first bite here.

• Agree

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
We advise 2 hours after first bite here.
Thank you.
The confusion for me is that there is conflicting advice in the forums and threads here (Diabetes.co.uk). I don’t ascribe to any others.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
The confusion for me is that there is conflicting advice in the forums and threads here (Diabetes.co.uk). I don’t ascribe to any others.
Its needing to be consistent, right before and 2 hours after first bite will always be 2 hours after 1st bite, 2 hours after last bite could be anytime after first bite so maybe one time 2.5 hrs next time 3 hrs or even 1.5 hrs after first bite if you eat quickly, so basically that wouldn’t give you a true picture of what you ate was ok, i.e) a rise below 2 after 2 hrs.

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake and Rachox

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thank you.
No, the general advice both here and in the Diabetes.org.uk forum say 2hrs after 1st bite. Though they advise more wiggle room over there - a rise of no more than 2.5 mmol and a max of 8.5 rather than a rise of 2 mmol and a max of 8.0

velofan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm interested in this testing 2hrs after. I've been running a CGM for a week or so now, and I've found some high carb foods spike up steeply and drop down steeply so that 2 hr figure is back to normal, whilst some low carb foods increase a lot more slowly, stay lower, but at the 2hr limit numbers are still raised compared to previously. So, surely, what happens inside that 2hr spread is important too??? Just trying to plan what to do when back on strips next week. (I'm in the same situation as the OP - and, as an aside, have found that my largest sugar spike is actually when racing, all within the first hour).