Who is troubled by injecting in public? Just me?

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

A doctor once told me that injecting would gradually become "like shaving", somehow normalised by routine. While I can decide whether to let loose and grow a wild beard—the same cannot be said for diabetes. And also, who shaves in public?

I've never had anyone stare, yet I find the act of injecting in public alienating, sometimes anxiety-inducing, and often impractical, regardless of the 10 seconds the act requires. Injecting doesn't stop me from living life, but I have noticed this recurrent trend.

As I feel alone in this act that others (non-diabetics) do not have to perform, and as such have not been able to speak openly and discuss this issue, I am now doing a small behavioural study linked to my postgraduate research at university. I am extremely interested in how people who require insulin injections feel about doing so in public. I'd like to get something concrete on this matter.

I have put together a small survey that really only takes two mins to complete. There are two versions of the survey. You can complete both if they apply.

The first is for people with diabetes: https://goo.gl/forms/qgyDLjl2BzjXeYyV2

The second is for a parent/guardian or partner of a person with diabetes: https://goo.gl/forms/32IKoZ9Pmo027tz32

I would be eternally grateful to you if you help me out! Let me know if you'd be interested in seeing the results too. But also, feel free to share your thoughts in the thread!

Last edited:

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Good luck with your questionnaire - I've completed it. I may be old and confident enough not to care, but I'll inject in public without a care.

I don't compare it to shaving, but to taking another form of medication. Who cares if I pop a couple of pills with a glass of water? No one would bat an eyelid.

I know there have been horror stories from "outraged" diners in "posh" restaurants, but I've not experienced anyone even noticing (or at least they're polite enough to pretend not to notice).

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good luck with your questionnaire - I've completed it. I may be old and confident enough not to care, but I'll inject in public without a care.

I don't compare it to shaving, but to taking another form of medication. Who cares if I pop a couple of pills with a glass of water? No one would bat an eyelid.

I know there have been horror stories from "outraged" diners in "posh" restaurants, but I've not experienced anyone even noticing (or at least they're polite enough to pretend not to notice).

@Ledzeptt Thanks so much for filling out the questionnaire, great help!

In my case, I think the stigma or "otherness" attached to needles when used outside of a hospital setting is partly to play. Whereas popping pills, while still medical, is commonplace, as you pointed out. My friends are either warmly curious or pay no attention—I've even had a good pal offer to inject me after a few New Year's swifties. ;)

sweettiger_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd definitely like to see the results!
I was diagnosed with Type 1 less than a year ago and I still find it incredibly difficult to take my equipment out in public... especially on a night out. Does it get easier with time?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed with Type 1 less than a year ago and I still find it incredibly difficult to take my equipment out in public... especially on a night out. Does it get easier with time?

Yes, it does :)

I felt self-conscious at first, but that gradually went away :) The more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Reactions: doyoutakesugar

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Filled it in for you!
I would definitely be interested in seeing the results.

@sweettiger_ When I was first diagnosed at 16, 5 years ago, I hated injecting at public - I would hide in toilets or not inject at all rather than do it. I feel now I am more resigned to it - if other people don't like it, then maybe they should try walking a day in our shoes, it isn't as if we are doing it for fun!

I feel the longer you have it, the more natural injecting becomes to you, and the less you think about it. Then suddenly you realise that most people are too busy with whatever else they are doing to actually notice you injecting, particularly if you are say sat a table and you use your legs or stomach.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi, that's done. I very rarely inject in public, and then only if there is no other option. Hubby is really sweet and holds his coat out around me to preserve my dignity; I wouldn't shave in public either ;-). Appreciate we're all different, but just my choices. good luck with your course.

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I have found that over two years of having diabetes the self-consciousness or anxiety surrounding injecting does diminish, but the impracticality of the equipment in my daily, social life can be a bit of a hinderance sometimes. It does feel progressively more natural as time does its job. Keep doing your thing!

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, that's done. I very rarely inject in public, and then only if there is no other option. Hubby is really sweet and holds his coat out around me to preserve my dignity; I wouldn't shave in public either ;-). Appreciate we're all different, but just my choices. good luck with your course.

Thanks for taking the survey! I am sorry to hear that you find it difficult to inject in public, diabetes can be a cruel mistress. Good work from the hubby there. What works for some doesn't work for us all.

May I ask whether it's the act of injecting or the taking your pen out part that is so bothersome?

Be good to yourself!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I did feel self conscious at first. It was someone on the forum (sorry, can't recall who) who advised to start in a small way i.e. in front of close friends or family who know you're diabetic, deliberately wear loose clothing that you can lift easily (no fiddling with buttons) and inject near the waist - don't make a fuss or announce you're about to do it. Wait until everyone's chatting and just do it whilst everyone's busy.

I did this a few times before trying it in front of strangers in a cafe etc.

I do inject at work, either at my desk or when we eat together, but everyone knows I'm diabetic. It's not an issue.

Reactions: Struma

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I suppose its only partly the injecting bit, most people don't know im diabetic, but why should they? I don't notice they have blonde hair etc, and I don't feel that i'm different. They don't see a GP on a regular basis because they are blonde? it seems bizarre sometimes, and I have to remind myself that actually it is me who is different. Other reasons would be getting to a bare bit of me without being arrested, or looking like i'm in a crazy game of twister...:cat:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I try to do it discreetly, in my leg under a table, but I do use my arms, and stomach area. I don't 'shout' about it, it's just my way, down to our own individual personalities and maybe gender too.
Survey done.

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did feel self conscious at first. It was someone on the forum (sorry, can't recall who) who advised to start in a small way i.e. in front of close friends or family who know you're diabetic, deliberately wear loose clothing that you can lift easily (no fiddling with buttons) and inject near the waist - don't make a fuss or announce you're about to do it. Wait until everyone's chatting and just do it whilst everyone's busy.

I did this a few times before trying it in front of strangers in a cafe etc.

I do inject at work, either at my desk or when we eat together, but everyone knows I'm diabetic. It's not an issue.

Happy to hear that you have no problems with injecting in public—more power to you. Great advice about starting small. Confidence, like many things, is the knack of it.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I try to do it discreetly, in my leg under a table, but I do use my arms, and stomach area. I don't 'shout' about it, it's just my way, down to our own individual personalities and maybe gender too.
Survey done.

Thanks so much for completing the questionnaire. I would find it very difficult to achieve injecting in my leg, as I'm either in jeans or trousers most of the time. I could give it a go -- but indecent exposure might prevent otherwise! ;)

Interesting point about gender. I think this may have a part to play too. Speaking of which...

Reactions: Ledzeptt

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Where are all the men at? ;)

The number of responses so far is promising, and the results are very illuminating—as many more people as possible please. You are all a major help.

Pull up our side, my fellow gents! Ladies, keep em' coming!

Best, A.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

A doctor once told me that injecting would gradually become "like shaving", somehow normalised by routine. While I can decide whether to let loose and grow a wild beard—the same cannot be said for diabetes. And also, who shaves in public?

I've never had anyone stare, yet I find the act of injecting in public alienating, sometimes anxiety-inducing, and often impractical, regardless of the 10 seconds the act requires. Injecting doesn't stop me from living life, but I have noticed this recurrent trend.

As I feel alone in this act that others (non-diabetics) do not have to perform, and as such have not been able to speak openly and discuss this issue, I am now doing a small behavioural study linked to my postgraduate research at university. I am extremely interested in how people who require insulin injections feel about doing so in public. I'd like to get something concrete on this matter.

I have put together a small survey that really only takes two mins to complete. There are two versions of the survey. You can complete both if they apply.

The first is for people with diabetes: https://goo.gl/forms/qgyDLjl2BzjXeYyV2

The second is for a parent/guardian or partner of a person with diabetes: https://goo.gl/forms/32IKoZ9Pmo027tz32

I would be eternally grateful to you if you help me out! Let me know if you'd be interested in seeing the results too. But also, feel free to share your thoughts in the thread!
I will complete your survey shortly. I no longer have issues with injecting in public after 2 little old ladies accused me of taking drugs. Fortunately my mum was with me and announced to the restaurant and the old ladies in particular that yes I was taking prescribed drugs and if I didn't I would die!

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Done!

When I was first diagnosed, I would always inject in loos as I just thought that was the best thing to do as it was out of the way. But now I think of how unhygienic that can be so would rather sit at a table or bench to do it. I try to be somewhat discrete, but that's more because I don't want strangers seeing my flabby belly! Haha. Sometimes people look, but this hasn't happened often.

Good luck with your survey :)

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Done!

When I was first diagnosed, I would always inject in loos as I just thought that was the best thing to do as it was out of the way. But now I think of how unhygienic that can be so would rather sit at a table or bench to do it. I try to be somewhat discrete, but that's more because I don't want strangers seeing my flabby belly! Haha. Sometimes people look, but this hasn't happened often.

Good luck with your survey :)

Thanks for completing the survey, it's a big help. I also used to inject in a private space such as the toilets. Perhaps the people who look do so with envy!

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I will complete your survey shortly. I no longer have issues with injecting in public after 2 little old ladies accused me of taking drugs. Fortunately my mum was with me and announced to the restaurant and the old ladies in particular that yes I was taking prescribed drugs and if I didn't I would die!

Thanks for taking the survey! Mothers, where would we be without em', eh? ;)