Wife new to pump and first is super high

Douggyfresh1

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Hello my wife has just been given the pump and it was amazingly level to start with, but it has steadily increased and is up to 25! She’s got the mylife loop pump with CamAPS FX. She’s 10 weeks pregnant and freaking out. The nurses said not to do corrections but surely she should if it’s so high. Please advise!

Douggyfresh1

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Hello my wife has just been given the pump and it was amazingly level to start with, but it has steadily increased and is up to 25! She’s got the mylife loop pump with CamAPS FX. She’s 10 weeks pregnant and freaking out. The nurses said not to do corrections but surely she should if it’s so high. Please advise!
She has changed the cannula as it was not connected properly. We will monitor it and hope her levels go down

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully its gone down overnight, speak to your nurse if it hasn't and be specific about how high your wifes BG is. Lots can cause high BG's, often with a pump its the cannula. Make sure to rotate its location, I try not to reuse the same spot for around 60 days or more.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I try not to reuse the same spot for around 60 days or more.
That is a long time between reuse which suggests you have 20 different spots. Is there a reason why you chose to make it so long? And how close to a spot do you consider it to be reuse?
I rotate my pump locations but could not come up with 20 distinct spots
- I have a patch pump which takes up more space on my body than a cannula
- I have some areas I cannot use. For example, my arms do not have enough fat and there is not enough space in my (slim fit) trousers for a spot on my thigh.
- After 5 years with a patched pump and 4 years with a tubey one using similar areas, I have no absorption problems with any of the main 6 spots I use

Douggyfresh1

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully its gone down overnight, speak to your nurse if it hasn't and be specific about how high your wifes BG is. Lots can cause high BG's, often with a pump its the cannula. Make sure to rotate its location, I try not to reuse the same spot for around 60 days or more.
Thanks Chas. The nurse called her for a check in as she only got the pump yesterday. It’s come down and for the most part is a completely flat line today! Going forwards cannula fit will be the first thing she checks if it starts to rise. She was a bit worried that the algorithm would think she needs high levels of insulin because she tried to correct the high through the app. Apart from that incident she is really pleased with it. And didn’t have the Dawn high she always got with basal

Reactions: Chas C and JAT1

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is a long time between reuse which suggests you have 20 different spots. Is there a reason why you chose to make it so long? And how close to a spot do you consider it to be reuse?
I rotate my pump locations but could not come up with 20 distinct spots
- I have a patch pump which takes up more space on my body than a cannula
- I have some areas I cannot use. For example, my arms do not have enough fat and there is not enough space in my (slim fit) trousers for a spot on my thigh.
- After 5 years with a patched pump and 4 years with a tubey one using similar areas, I have no absorption problems with any of the main 6 spots I use
Hi @In Response

I use my stomach and arms, but don't use a patch pump (they are larger and take twice the space). I have four horizontal rows on my stomach where each row side can take 14 (side to side), so 14 x 4 is 56. Then my arms can take maybe 8 or so on each so another 16. So overall around 72 but with failures and sometimes a wider spread (if not taking care) or bleeders it gets reduced easily. I used to use the same 8-10 spots on my legs many many year ago (1970's) and my legs are no longer really usable.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Chas. The nurse called her for a check in as she only got the pump yesterday. It’s come down and for the most part is a completely flat line today! Going forwards cannula fit will be the first thing she checks if it starts to rise. She was a bit worried that the algorithm would think she needs high levels of insulin because she tried to correct the high through the app. Apart from that incident she is really pleased with it. And didn’t have the Dawn high she always got with basal
Pleased its gone down. I've heard good reports about the CamAPS FX capability with its ability to learn and correct where my t:slim is a fixed algorithm for corrections so has no ability to learn.

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34