Will my medication change

petina

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
On 16th November last year I was admitted to Hospital with a blood sugar level of 43, believed to be steroid induced. Released a few days later with blood testing equipment and a prescription for insulin starting with 6 units morning and evening. The insulin dose was slowly increased and I now inject 20 units in the morning and 18 units in the evening. The result in that my blood glucose is regularly normal with occasional spikes to 8. something.
After my next hospital appointment I will probably be referred to the diabetic nurse at our local GP practice. She has already written to me suggesting I make an appointment to discuss medication. It will probably be a couple of months before I actually see her but wondering if she will want t put me onto tablets. I suspect this may be the frontline treatment but am quite happy with the injections and one reads of unpleasant side effects with metformin etc.
So what are your experiences ? do I have a choice ?
Peter

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If your diabetes is steroid induced then as and when you come of them your need for insulin may disappear and you may then just need tablets or even nothing apart from the right diet. I guess it's possible you are overweight in part due to steroids? Anything you can do diet-wise to reduce any excess weight will help reduce the amount of medication you need. If you are not already having a low-carb diet then do start. Metformin is at it's best for those who are overweight. The Slow Release (SR) version normally doesn't have side effects. There are other tablets that have different functions so a lot will depend on whether you are still on steroids and what weight you have when you see the nurse.

petina

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info. Emphysema {two inhalers and a nebuliser + steroids when required} limits exercise and I only have one kidney. Other main conditions are Tachycardia and a swollen Prostrate for which I take Tildiem and Alfuzosin.
Losing weight will take time, always been 14 stone and at 76 it will be difficult to diet although giving up weetabix has already shrunk the waistline.
Anyway will and see what nurse says in a few weeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk