Wine and ketosis

Billy_Pilgrim

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
BG spikes, Nazis, papercuts.
I think there's quite a lot of variation in the residual sugars in Chardonnay though, according to the different styles, so is it possible that you may have better luck with wine from a different maker/ region? If you could get one with a higher percentage of alcohol you might have more luck- the ones under 11% versus the 12%+ for example.

After extensive experimentation, (double-blind, drunk) I've found that 12% is the threshold for me. Prosecco, beer and cider are out, but everything else will only serve to reduce BG. I hope this is still the case when my honeymoon period ends, cos it makes everything a lot more bearable.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After extensive experimentation, (double-blind, drunk) I've found that 12% is the threshold for me. Prosecco, beer and cider are out, but everything else will only serve to reduce BG. I hope this is still the case when my honeymoon period ends, cos it makes everything a lot more bearable.
Yes, I'm type 2, but when I've been testing my bloods, 12% is also my cut off point. Anything over that takes my bloods down*, so the fact we have the exact same cut-off point seems interesting. Could it be a rule of thumb that applies to most diabetic drinkers? If anyone else has data on this, please chime in!

*when I say over 12%, I'm not necessarily including things like Port or Chartreuse- I haven't tried those, and the added sugar may raise you. I used to like a cheap gin (40%) called Ginebras San Miguel, but I noted it was only dropping my bloods very slightly, so I suspect it has a ton of added sugar

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
People need to be careful.

Social drinking is one thing (and I have a daily glass of wine myself, more at weekends) but using alcohol purely as a means of reducing blood sugar levels could so easily lead to a bigger problem.

Reactions: LucySW and ringi