Type 1 Wording my sick line

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I imagine this is a very silly question but I've had to take some time off work. After a couple of months feeling exhausted I was diagnosed on Wed past with anemia. My bg has been running high (late teens) for the last few weeks I imagine with the worry of the test results I hadn't received at that stage. But everything seems to have hit me hard now and I literally feel exhausted. I have zero energy and it's been 5 days on the iron medication but it doesn't seem to have kicked in yet.

I've taken the week off sick which I'll have to provide a self certified line for. My manager has no understanding of how high blood sugars can affect diabetics. I just do not know how to word my sickness. Is it OK to write anemia/hyperglycemia? I guess I'm looking a little reassurance that that's reason enough.

Sent from my F8331 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could put "exhaustion due to anaemia". Why complicate matters with hyperglycemia?

Do you know what caused the anaemia? You could ask your GP for a coeliac disease blood test, as Type 1s have a higher rate of CD than the general population.

Reactions: sjm1308

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not every illness you have will be linked to your diabetes - so keep it simple and report the exhaustion, the blood tests and the diagnosis from them, and mentioning 'ongoing treatment' might not go amiss.
The high BG could be a natural reaction to the stress of being anaemic anyway.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is it OK to write anemia/hyperglycemia? I guess I'm looking a little reassurance that that's reason enough.

You could just keep it simple and write anemia as this is the cause of your absence, when you return to work (or if the company gets in touch with you before then) you could expand on how the anemia has effected your type 1 and energy levels.

Hop your feeling better soon.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Exhaustion caused by Anemia. My niece had this and it really knocked the stuffing out of her

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. I'm overthinking it I know. Will also ask for that test for coeliacs. I'm don't have heavy periods and I'm a meat eater so they were a bit baffled as to the anemia. Hoping the iron tabs kick in soon. Thanks again everyone xx

Reactions: azure and himtoo
D

Deleted member 308541

I just gave my employer (shift foreman) the sick certificate I got from the GP, I did not supply a separate letter / note with it just the time sheet (sickness plod) for the absence

If he asked what the problem was, I told him to read the certificate / sickness plod as I was sick for that period of time.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @sjm1308
thank you for sharing your issues for a sick note-- I totally agree that you should keep it simple and just report the anaemia .
there is no lies in your report and ultimately the fact you are concerned with trying to find a suitable explanation for your absence sets you in the minority for being conscientious with your employment.

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just gave my employer (shift foreman) the sick certificate I got from the GP, I did not supply a separate letter / note with it just the time sheet (sickness plod) for the absence

If he asked what the problem was, I told him to read the certificate / sickness plod as I was sick for that period of time.
I live in Ireland and we have to self certify for the first 7 days of sickness.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In UK, for the first 5 days absence, the employee is entitled to "self-certificate", which involves completing a simple form, then if the issue continues, the consulting Doctor provides medical certificates.

If the condition is recognised to take more than a week to resolve itself,
I live in Ireland and we have to self certify for the first 7 days of sickness.

It's the same in the UK, for the first 5 days, but I believe @Tipetoo is one of our antipodean cousins. :)

D

Deleted member 308541

n UK, for the first 5 days absence, the employee is entitled to "self-certificate", which involves completing a simple form, then if the issue continues, the consulting Doctor provides medical certificates.

If the condition is recognised to take more than a week to resolve itself,
Seems a civilised way of doing it.

It's the same in the UK, for the first 5 days, but I believe @Tipetoo is one of our antipodean cousins. :)
Yes I am an Australian, if you click on my avatar it will pop up a profile card with details of where I live. :)