Working in healthcare with t1d

E09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was wondering if anyone working in a hospital with shift work would be able to shed any advice on managing your diabetes at and around work. I'm a student nurse starting placement soon, and my university haven't really given any guidance on whether there's any protocol for hypoglycaemia etc.

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was wondering if anyone working in a hospital with shift work would be able to shed any advice on managing your diabetes at and around work. I'm a student nurse starting placement soon, and my university haven't really given any guidance on whether there's any protocol for hypoglycaemia etc.
I would speak with the uni to see what they advise, if you know where you're going in placement I would ring or pop in for a chat with my mentor/ward manager to inform them. A lot of wards now like you to keep your phone in your locker, but if you need it with you for CGM purposes then just explain it to them. Most wards (although I haven't worked on a ward since before I was diagnosed with diabetes) will be flexible and arrange your breaks to suit your needs plus allow little breaks if you need to sort out a hypo etc. Bear in mind ward work is very physical and you will do a LOT of steps in a day! But if you let your tutor or placement organiser at the uni know, they can let any future placements know of your needs before you start!

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi EO9

I would concur with the previous posters. In the first instance contact your University. There should be reasonable adjustments put in place for when you go on placement in much the same way as when you are sitting exams. My background is as a Lecturer in Nursing. One of my roles was to support students and mentors in practice and making sure reasonable adjustments are put in place and work for all concerned

Good luck on placement that is where everything should fall into place