Worried / Confused re 'high diabetes risk' comment on full blood test.

MadOldBat

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone, I'm new but worried.
I have recently had a full blood test result back; indicating (amongst other things) a very low Hb count (60 g/L).
At the bottom of the test, comments section says "RBS anisocytosis, poikilocystosis, microcytosis and target cells. Features suggestive of iron deficiency and / or amaemia of chronic disease." - ~GP concerned regarding bowel cancer; g.i. bleed; ulcer; celiac condition; hepatitis etc..
I am scheduled for endoscopy, colonoscopy in 5 days time - having 2 weeks ago stopped iron supplements.

OK - not good - but at least they are investigating symptoms (TATT; abdominal pain; bloating; bleeding blah blah), however I am slightly overweight and have not lost any pounds - so hoping that bowel cancer is not the main culprit. I have investigated all the results that i have (bless? you google) and am convinced that I am on the correct investigatory path.

However, right at the bottom of the page - my Diagnostic HbA1c result is 34 mmol/mol.
The lab comment below states " REview the patient's personal risk and treat as 'high diabetes risk' as clinically indicated.

From all research done so far - all I can see is that this indicates I am within normal (for a non-diabetic) parameters.

Could any of you help me with what I am missing here?
I realise google limitations, and wondered if anyone could help me understand / interpret this?

Just to add, since coming off the iron pills, I have been following a gluten-free diet - and have been feeling a bit less abdominal pain.
I generally follow a really healthy diet - fruit, veg, - not much meat, fish - I bake all my own wholemeal + flax seed bread, don't really eat processed foods / ready meals / takeaways.

Any suggestions as to what this lab comment means?

Many thanks!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It could just be a standard not added or that because of your Hb result they are worried that your Hb doesnt survive as long and therefore the HbA1c is not a true reflection. I wouldn't worry about it with all the other investigations

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The HBa1c is fine. It may be some of the other conditions listed are pointers to diabetes risk?

MadOldBat

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The HBa1c is fine. It may be some of the other conditions listed are pointers to diabetes risk?
- Yes, I thought that might be the case.
It will just be another question for Monday I guess.
Thanks for your thoughts.

MadOldBat

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I found this on the internet - I wonder if the concern is the correlation between diabetes and celiac disease (which can also cause anaemia).
"One condition that affects the body’s ability to absorb nutrients is celiac disease. In celiac disease, the body cannot tolerate gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. If gluten is eaten, the normal, fingerlike folds of the small intestine flatten out, preventing the absorption of not just the gluten but of other nutrients, as well. About one in 20 people who have diabetes also have celiac disease."

Possibly?