Worried

Sophjasp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and put on Invokana (canaglifozin) and after the first week my body seems to be getting used to it.
I’ve been testing myself and it’s generally been between 6-8 until just now at 14.2 and it says that’s dangerous. I really don’t know what I’ve done wrong today although I’ve not eaten much i ate a low sugar /fat - but bean and tomato soup for lunch 4 hours ago. Could this be the effects this much later on?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I got diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and put on Invokana (canaglifozin) and after the first week my body seems to be getting used to it.
I’ve been testing myself and it’s generally been between 6-8 until just now at 14.2 and it says that’s dangerous. I really don’t know what I’ve done wrong today although I’ve not eaten much i ate a low sugar /fat - but bean and tomato soup for lunch 4 hours ago. Could this be the effects this much later on?
It definitely could have been the bean and tomato soup.
All carbs get converted to sugar in our bodies, not just the sugary ones. And beans are quite high carb, and depending on the soup there may be a lot of carbs in that as well.

The 14.2 is not immediately dangerous if you're usually around 6-8, what about testing again in another 2 hours to see if you're dropping?

Reactions: Lainie71 and filly

Sophjasp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It definitely could have been the bean and tomato soup.
All carbs get converted to sugar in our bodies, not just the sugary ones. And beans are quite high carb, and depending on the soup there may be a lot of carbs in that as well.

The 14.2 is not immediately dangerous if you're usually around 6-8, what about testing again in another 2 hours to see if you're dropping?

Thank you for replying so quickly. I’ve just done it again and it was 8.2. Could the high reading be a cause of my dull headache I’ve had this afternoon do you think?
I’m so confused by it all, think I’m doing something right and it’s just really worried me.

Is 6-8 classed as ok (ish) just says moderate on my machine.

Reactions: filly and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could the high reading be a cause of my dull headache I’ve had this afternoon do you think?
Well possible.
Or it could be the other way around, the headache (and possibly an underlying virus like a cold) can be the reason you're seeing higher numbers than expected.
I’m so confused by it all, think I’m doing something right and it’s just really worried me.
The basics is pretty straight forward.
All carbs convert to glucose in the body, so check what you plan to eat for how many carbs are in it.

If you check your blood glucose right before eating and some 2 hours later, you can get an idea of how your body dealt with that meal. If you also know how many carbs were in that meal, you'll know something about how many carbs you can tolerate (or not tolerate, like you found out with todays meal).

Many of our members do very well on a lower carb diet, varying from very low (less 20 grams of carbs a day) to moderately low (around 150 grams of carbs a day). How many carbs works well is highly individual, and you can find out by using your meter.

If you'd like to get an idea on what we are eating with some friendly chat on the side, try this thread where we share our meals. You'll quickly see we all have different levels of carb intake there. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2622

You might also like this blog by one of our members, explaining a bit more on how diabetes works: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html
Is 6-8 classed as ok (ish) just says moderate on my machine.
Yes, it is.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Is 6-8 classed as ok
It all depends on when you took the reading and when you last ate anything. Test done at random times just give you an idea of your sugar level, it tells you nothing about why you have that level.

To get a 6, 2hrs after a meal would be a brilliant result but 8 before you have eaten, not so good.

Use your meter to test your food, take a reading just before you eat and again 2hrs later, the difference in the two results tells you how that meal affected your sugar levels

If the second result is more than 2mmol above the first one, then there were too many carbohydrates for you in that meal.