Worrys

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Bit of a depressive question but ive been having nightmares and anxious all the time and would like some advice . Diabetic complications?can you prevent them if your hbac1 is always under 7 ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
We can only try. Certainly lower HbA1C's will at least postpone them for a lot longer, maybe altogether. Not a depressive question at all :)

Just Laura

I don't know the answer, Shell but I think along the same lines as you. Wonder if we'll ever stop worrying!?

The way I try to think about it is that if a1c's are (almost) always within 'normal' range, then surely it can't actually be my different to a non-diabetic persons chances of ever having any health complications?

I know it's not quite as black & white as that but I honestly think my daughter has a healthier, more balanced diet and lifestyle as a result of her diagnosis; I know I certainly put a lot more thought & careful planning now in to meals and activities.

So, hopefully everything will be as okay as it can be.

x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Your daughter will have better medical care and checks than any other people.. That is actually a benefit...especially nowadays with people waistbands expanding. She will have better choices of food than the rest of the kids nowadays. She'll still be able to enjoy herself though.

Shell, you sound quite diatraught yourself iver your daughters diagnosis.
Nothing can guarantee your daughter being complication free. I havent always had a level under 7.0, on odd occasions in 30 years I've tipped just over... So far not a complication.

The only thing you can do is to watch over, your daughter whether diabetic or not, will lead her own life....

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Sorry to sound dumb but whats does a1c ,s etc mean n hba1c,s etc not familiar with they medical terms?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bit of a depressive question but ive been having nightmares and anxious all the time and would like some advice . Diabetic complications?can you prevent them if your hbac1 is always under 7 ?

It certainly gives us the best possible chance if we are well controlled. Try not to get too anxious about it all, the treatment methods for diabetes have come on a long way in recent years and there are new developments on the horizon, if your daughter see's that you are getting anxious about her diabetes it will make her worry too.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Oh rite dont think ive had that done how often u meant to get these tests

I would expect every 3-6 months in the early stages of diagnosis then once every 12 months when everything is settling down, often you can get a Hba1c done sooner if your experiencing a few problems or have any concerns, however they do insist that you wait 12 weeks from your previous blood test otherwise the labs won't accept it.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone shes got her first annual check next week .i just love her so much and want her to have a fantastic future like her sister and if she wants a family and to get married i its all far away but obv i think ahead to stay motivated i think if it was me who was diagnosed id be more relaxed but shes so young i want to keep in top of things and sometimes i just get so anxious esp now shes on the pump .school contantly ring about it while im at work which sends me into a panic and my friends husband has just has his leg amputated threw bad control i dont want that for chloe ...im hoping they will be a cure soon .i hate this disease. Yes she eats very healthy a lot better than my other daughter (i tell her thats why she got lovely long hair ) but its still so restricting . I am very anxious about it all and hate to put a downer on things as shes doing so well at the moment but i cant stop the fears that keep creeping in.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Shell...
Type 1 does not have to be limiting. Honest. It is an awful time for parents having a newly diagnosed child. It does get easier. It can also be very hard for any other children too, as they do see their siblings getting extra attention, albeit for an illness.. But they don't necessarily see the illness....
Your daughter can still have a great life...