Xylitol Chocolate

A

Anonymous

Has anyone tried Xylitol Dark Chocolate [please no comments re.laxative effects] and if so, did it raise your BS levels? I've seen an 85% dark chocolate version with Xylitol on the net and it seems to make good sense....

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the moser roth 85% dark chocolate from aldis-99p for packet of 5 bars and each bar has 5.3g carbs. (one bar per weeknight!) It doesn't have a laxitive effect and doesn't contain any xylitol or artificial sweetners.

elviscole

chocoholicnomore said:
I like the moser roth 85% dark chocolate from aldis-99p for packet of 5 bars and each bar has 5.3g carbs. (one bar per weeknight!) It doesn't have a laxitive effect and doesn't contain any xylitol or artificial sweetners.

+1 :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Ordinary dark chocolate, 70% proof or higher, is just as good as diabetic or any other chocolate. The higher the cocoa solids, the less the carbs. Read the labels. I defy anyone to eat 100g of 90% dark chocolate at one sitting :shock:

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
viviennem said:
I defy anyone to eat 100g of 90% dark chocolate at one sitting

I think I could probably do it :lol:

I bought 90% dark chocolate while in Cologne before Christmas and had to force myself to stop eating it. Can't find 90% here in Scotland.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I get mine from Tesco. Maybe you avoid that aisle in the supermarket? :lol: :wink:

Only teasing!

Viv 8)

Grazer

alliebee said:
and also the thorntons diabetic chocolate, please, Is it a good choice?

I buy this because I'm not a fan of dark chocolate, but love milk chocolate. Trouble is, the milk choc is always really high in sugar content.
I think the Thorntons is the best tasting of the diabetic choc, it doesn't give me the tummy issues some people report, and doesn't give me spikes. I only have a few squares at a time, and suck them to make them last! mmm! I only have the milk choc; tried the mint truffles they do in the diabetic range and they were nasty.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys!

First of all, all the sugar alcohols (of which Xylitol is one and maltitol is the most common - found in Thornton's diabetic chocolate) will have some impact on your BGs. Whether they 'spike' you depends on how you classify a spike! My BG will rise 1 or 2 m/mol for every 4 squares of the Thornton's diabetic milk chocolate. The mint truffles Grazer mentioned spike my BG a bit more. I'm LADA and very petite and the impact of sugar alcohols on my BG is fairly significant - certainly significant enough for me to ration how much I eat of them. It might be less significant for type 2s (or bigger people maybe) if your insulin production is still fairly strong. Some people do not digest these sugar alcohols (and they tend to have tummy problems if they eat them as a result), but for everyone else you will digest up to about 50% of them. Now, they are lower GI than sucrose (sugar) and you don't digest the full amount. So, if you must eat milk chocolate (which I must unfortunately :lol: ) and can tolerate sugar alcohols (which I can), the thornton's diabetic chocolate is a good choice. However, don't kid yourselves that it has no impact on your BG.

Smidge

Snodger

chocoholicnomore said:
viviennem said:
I defy anyone to eat 100g of 90% dark chocolate at one sitting

I think I could probably do it :lol:

I bought 90% dark chocolate while in Cologne before Christmas and had to force myself to stop eating it. Can't find 90% here in Scotland.
have you tried Hotel Chocolat? they sell online even if you don't have a shop near you. They do very high % dark choc, and even 100%, which is not for the faint hearted (but like you, I love dark choc and am quite partial to a square or two of 100%).

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Moser roth with chilli cherry :D :D :D
CAROL

elviscole

iv found that asda dark choc for cooking is 76% cocoa and ive found it doesnt spike my sugars and at 87p for a 150g bar its cheaper than the lindt choc

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
viviennem said:
I get mine from Tesco. Maybe you avoid that aisle in the supermarket? :lol: :wink:

I do!

However, I looked yesterday and did find lindt 90% cocoa chocolate. Thought it was expensive at £1.86 (my aldi's choc is only 99p).I was going to buy a bar but I knew that, once opened, it would be finished before the day is out (more likely before all shopping was unpacked :oops: :lol: )
So I put it back on the shelf :thumbup:

Beginning to get the hang of this :wink:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Marina, you can have 6 gold stars for that! really well done! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Viv 8)

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I am a real chocaholic and have zero willpower when it is left lying about the house by my son.

I haven't succumbed so far whilst on this Newcastle diet though (he types whilst touching wood).

I'm going to REALLY try and never eat chocolate again - just like an alcoholic daren't have another drink in case he goes off on a binge again.

Aren't you just punishing yourselves by limiting your intake to one or two squares at a time? I could never do that; it was all or nothing with me - the whole packet of biscuits, the whole 200g bar of chocolate, etc, etc.

I'm convinced my sweet tooth is what has ultimately lead to my T2 diagnosis

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh ardbeg you sound just like me. :oops:

I am addicted to chocolate and, before diagnosis, had it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks in between :lol:

I have tried to cut it out completely but always fail miserably, that's why I allow myself a little each day. An opened bar is a finished bar in my book :lol:

You have my complete sympathy.

BTW you are doing really well on the Newcastle diet. There's no way I could stick with it.
Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks Marina,

I have to say that my wife is being very supportive; making me pans of soup then putting into tubs in the fridge that I can either take to work with me or have a bowl as soon as I get home. Also ensuring that there is plenty of salad stuff and veg in the fridge.

I'm also pleasantly surprised to discover that I actually LIKE the shakes from Asda; despite the fact that many on here have posted that they are tastless.

I also love my booze (thus my forum name and avatar) so the 8 week diet also doubles up as a dettox for me. I usually pack in the booze for the month of January and can do so quite easily; so an extra couple of weeks shouldn't be too difficult.

My liver is getting a breather AND I'm saving a small fortune. :D